[comp.windows.ms] Sharing violation in a DOS Window

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (03/21/91)

Running in 386 mode (9mb memory), I opened Norton Commander in a window,
then wanted to use pkunpak to test an archive.  After pkunpak started
testing the archive, DOS 4.01 interrupted with
	Sharing Violation reading drive A:

Windows and pkunpak are on c:, the archive is on (subst) e: and I hadn't
accessed a: since rebooting.  I tried the same again with the same result.
Share was not explicitly loaded.

Any suggestions?

Also, can someone please post just what Share is supposed to do; the
discriptions in DOS manuals indicate that Share does nothing
unless you are networked, but I've heard people say otherwise.

--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.004309.28940@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu> landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) writes:
>Running in 386 mode (9mb memory), I opened Norton Commander in a window,
>then wanted to use pkunpak to test an archive.  After pkunpak started
>testing the archive, DOS 4.01 interrupted with
>	Sharing Violation reading drive A:
>
>Windows and pkunpak are on c:, the archive is on (subst) e: and I hadn't
>accessed a: since rebooting.  I tried the same again with the same result.
>Share was not explicitly loaded.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Also, can someone please post just what Share is supposed to do; the
>discriptions in DOS manuals indicate that Share does nothing
>unless you are networked, but I've heard people say otherwise.

SHARE, SUBST, and Windows in 386 enhanced mode don't get along.  Get rid of
one of them.  I had to get rid of SHARE, and am praying that nothing mucks
up my disk drive.

There was a long thread on SHARE, but it boils down to this:

SHARE protects you from having two processes write to the same file and
destroy data.  It also (in DOS 4.0 and up) has the code to support > 32 MB
drives for programs that use FCB's (File Control Blocks), a DOS 2.0 and
earlier method for accessing files.  dBase III+ is an example of a program
that uses FCB's.

Let's put this SHARE explanation into the FAQ, ok?

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.

glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) (03/23/91)

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) writes:

>In article <1991Mar21.004309.28940@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu> landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) writes:
>>Running in 386 mode (9mb memory), I opened Norton Commander in a window,
>>then wanted to use pkunpak to test an archive.  After pkunpak started
>>testing the archive, DOS 4.01 interrupted with
>>	Sharing Violation reading drive A:
>>
>>Windows and pkunpak are on c:, the archive is on (subst) e: and I hadn't
>>accessed a: since rebooting.  I tried the same again with the same result.
>>Share was not explicitly loaded.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Also, can someone please post just what Share is supposed to do; the
>>discriptions in DOS manuals indicate that Share does nothing
>>unless you are networked, but I've heard people say otherwise.
>>

>SHARE, SUBST, and Windows in 386 enhanced mode don't get along.  Get rid of
>one of them.  I had to get rid of SHARE, and am praying that nothing mucks
>up my disk drive.

>There was a long thread on SHARE, but it boils down to this:

>SHARE protects you from having two processes write to the same file and
>destroy data.  It also (in DOS 4.0 and up) has the code to support > 32 MB
>drives for programs that use FCB's (File Control Blocks), a DOS 2.0 and
>earlier method for accessing files.  dBase III+ is an example of a program
>that uses FCB's.

>Let's put this SHARE explanation into the FAQ, ok?

I use SHARE and SUBST with Windows in Enhanced mode always.  My Windows directories
are on a SUBST drive to make things more complicated.  The only problem I have
come across is when there is a TSR that is started in DOS BEFORE WIndows starts and
this TSR has a file open when Windows starts.  When the TSR is accessed from a
Enhanced mode DOS Box, Share doesn't recognize the TSR as the owner of the file
anymore.

This problem has gone away with DOS 5.0 for some reason.

Glenn Boozer
QMS
Glenn@imagen

gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Patrick Steffler) (03/27/91)

[amazing amount of SHARE, SUBST problems]

I have disabled the SHARE feature of DOS 4.01 by renaming it to
oldshare.exe because I could not compile in PWB without getting
violations every time the compiler refered to the make file, and
other files that PWB keeps open.  This bothers me just to much
to disable an otherwise usefull feature.

There must be a better way.

--
Co-Op Scum                            "Bo doesn't know software" - George Brett

"The galaxial hearth steams the sea as the sky blood red embrasses darkness"
-John Constantine (HellBlazer)                          Glenn Steffler

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (03/28/91)

<>SHARE, SUBST, and Windows in 386 enhanced mode don't get along.  Get rid of
<>one of them.  I had to get rid of SHARE, and am praying that nothing mucks
<>up my disk drive.

You can assit your favorite deity by loading NOSHARE or NOTSHARE instead
of SHARE under such circumstances.  These do not give the problems you
have described, and they will also *prevent* "nothing" from "mucking up
one's disk drive."
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE