[comp.windows.ms] 256 Color BMP to 16 Color BMP

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (03/27/91)

Sorry if this has already been covered.  But, most of the BMP files I
have seen are 640x480x256 color.  When I display them in 640x480x16
color, they are, of course, mostly grey.  Is there some utility that
will take a best shot effort at converting 256 color BMP into 16 color
BMP files.

BTW, I did try to read them into paint and then save them as 16 color
files, but that does not help.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
                                       _                  _
                                      ( )                ( )
                                  /\__/~\-/______________/~\-/_/\
                                 |   ----/-----sawyer-------/-   |
   _______________________________\_____/__________________/____/_____________
  |Jeff Sorvik (jps@msc.edu)      | "He is no fool who gives up that which    |
  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center | he cannot keep for that which he cannot   |
  |Telephone: (612) 626-1659      | lose."                                    |
  |Fax      : (612) 624-6550      |                     -Jim Elliot           |

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (03/27/91)

In article <3765@uc.msc.umn.edu> jps@msc.umn.edu writes:
>Sorry if this has already been covered.  But, most of the BMP files I
>have seen are 640x480x256 color.  When I display them in 640x480x16
>color, they are, of course, mostly grey.  Is there some utility that
>will take a best shot effort at converting 256 color BMP into 16 color
>BMP files.

				the shareware program Paint Shop ,
available in the pub/pc/win3/util directory on cica.cica.indiana.edu as
PS???.ZIP , will do it , and allows you many different dithering options
. you need a good amount of memory , though ...

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

s902114@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Zen) (03/27/91)

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) writes:

:-)Sorry if this has already been covered.  But, most of the BMP files I
:-)have seen are 640x480x256 color.  When I display them in 640x480x16
:-)color, they are, of course, mostly grey.  Is there some utility that
:-)will take a best shot effort at converting 256 color BMP into 16 color
:-)BMP files.

:-)BTW, I did try to read them into paint and then save them as 16 color
:-)files, but that does not help.

:-)Thanks in advance for any advice.

WinGIF will let you do this. It is available from cica like everything else
mentioned in this group. Simply load up the grey-looking bmp, and then use
the VGA 16 dither option.

Another program which might do thie trick is Paint Shop (ps.zip) which
is designed to convert between formats. I have not used it, but it might
do the trick too.
--

 _____                      Two elephants fell off a cliff. Boom Boom.
//  //    __                                                             //

--

karl@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Karl Watanabe) (03/29/91)

>Sorry if this has already been covered.  But, most of the BMP files I
>have seen are 640x480x256 color.  When I display them in 640x480x16
>color, they are, of course, mostly grey.  Is there some utility that
>will take a best shot effort at converting 256 color BMP into 16 color

The GIF viewer for windows "wingif" does a great job of viewing .BMP, .PCX,
and .GIF files and can perform an amazing number of conversions.  It can
convert to 4,8,16,256 shades of gray, 16 colors, dither to 2 colors, etc.
I like this program better than the non windows viewers.

Karl Watanabe (no signature yet)