[comp.windows.ms] MS Word on MAC and PC

my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (03/29/91)

> > I have been using Microsoft Word for Windows 3.0 and would like to
> >be able to read these files on the MAC throught Microsoft Word for the
> >MAC.  Do you have any suggestions?

> Mac.  To go the other way.  Save the Mac document as Rich Text Format and
> use apple file exchange to write this on a DOS disk which can then be

You can also can the MAC Word file with MS Word format can copy
the file to PC, and Window Word will read that file.

Rich-Text-Format (RTF) is slower (I think).

By the way, what`s the difference between DCA-RFT and RFT?

-- Mike

PS: How can people transfer MS Word documents with PICTURES/DRAWINGS
    between the MAC and PC?

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.054941.8038@berlioz.nsc.com> my@falcon.nsc.com (Michael Yip) writes:

>PS: How can people transfer MS Word documents with PICTURES/DRAWINGS
>    between the MAC and PC?

You can't, really, although MS told us at a recent educational reps meeting
that they're working on it.  The main problem is that the Mac likes the PICT
format, while Windows prefers WMF for non-bitmap stuff.  Although EPS, TIFF,
and such would be easier to translate, the PICT and WMF formats are *very*
environment-specific.  PICT is a bunch of Quickdraw, WMF is a bunch of GDI
calls.

Aaron Wallace