[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT/Net 1.53: FTPing problems.

cnolan@mee.tcd.ie (03/22/91)

Has anyone  experienced problems FTP, in or out, with the latest (1.53)
WinQVT/Net?
The previous version worked fine.  FTPing in (SEND) to the server opens the
destination file on the PC but never writes to it, you're left with a zero
lenght file.  With MSEND it just hangs on the first file.  GETs from the server
seem to work.
Using the FTP service MGET can't open destination file,but GET works ok.

Anyone else?  Am I doing something wrong.  I've been very happy with WinQVT/Net
up to this (I even registered).

       	 	Conor Nolan			Phone:	772941 (X1741)
           	Snr. Technician			Fax:	772442
            	Microelectronics Dept.
		Trinity College
	      	Dublin 2			cnolan@mee.tcd.ie
  	     	IRELAND

cnolan@mee.tcd.ie (03/27/91)

In a previous posting I complained of FTPing problems with WinQVT/Net 1.53.
According to grantk@manta.nosc.mil, who has the same problem, the rcp server
seems to work so that may be fix for some of us.

Although the label on my reg. copy says 1.53 it is in fact 1.54 and it is even
worse.  It gives the UAE message when any session is closed.  It is unusable.
The machine must be cold booted to clear the packet driver.

The only glimmer of hope is this message found on comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibm ...

#############################################################################
From: jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc
Subject: Follow Up - Another Problem with WinQVT/Net

Some of you may remember me posting about some problems I
was experience with WinQVT/Net. The problems centered around
two items:
	1. Closing a telnet session would yield an Unrecoverable
	   Application Error (UAE). Seems some other folks also
	   received UAEs after a certain period of inactivity.

	2. FTPing to the pc would yield a file size of 0 bytes
	   and would hand WinQVT/Net. I personally didn't experience
	   this problem, but several people told me of this problem
	   through e-mail.

Yesterday, I received the latest version of WinQVT/Net in the mail.
Today, I installed 1.6 on my machine and tried the following:
	news reader
	telnet (single)
	telnet (multiple)

Everything seems to work just fine. With V1.6 I do not get UAEs
when I close a telnet session. Also, the news reader looks to
function just fine.

If you were having problems with WinQVT/Net, I strongly suggest
you install the new version (if you were registered) or find a
copy of it. You might look in cica.cica.indiana.edu for a copy
of version 1.6.

As an aside: after I experimented with 1.6, I went back to 1.5
to see if the same problems were still there. They were. Looks
like 1.5 was the source of the problems (or at least it exposed
dormant bugs).

Looks like the WinQVT/Net problems is taken care of. Now,
if we could just resolve this little flap over PC-NFS 3.5. :-)

--
Cal...                               "Oh, by the way, I put the entire
                                      vacation on the Underhill's

#############################################################################

As of today I havn't seen it on cica.

       	 	Conor Nolan			Phone:	772941 (X1741)
           	Snr. Technician			Fax:	772442
            	Microelectronics Dept.
		Trinity College
	      	Dublin 2			cnolan@mee.tcd.ie
  	     	IRELAND				ampere::cnolan

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar21.164801.1@mee.tcd.ie> cnolan@mee.tcd.ie writes:
>Has anyone  experienced problems FTP, in or out, with the latest (1.53)
>WinQVT/Net?

Yes. The problems are a documented bug in version 1.5 of WinQVT/Net.

>The previous version worked fine.  FTPing in (SEND) to the server opens the
>destination file on the PC but never writes to it, you're left with a zero
>lenght file.  With MSEND it just hangs on the first file.  GETs from the server
>seem to work.
>Using the FTP service MGET can't open destination file,but GET works ok.
>
>Anyone else?  Am I doing something wrong.  I've been very happy with WinQVT/Net
>up to this (I even registered).

No, you are not doing anything wrong. In fact, it sounds like you
have everything set up correctly.

SOLUTION:  Get Version 1.6 of WinQVT/Net. I know it exists because
I received my copy of it in the mail last week. (It pays to be a
registered user.) I haven't checked the usual archives, but I'd
expect a copy of it to show up at cica, SIMTEL20, etc.

If you can't find it on cica, let me know. I will upload the
shareware part of the package. (Sorry, it wouldn't be fair if I
uploaded the 800x600 screen fonts for WinQVT/Net. They were
the reason I registered.)

>       	 	Conor Nolan			Phone:	772941 (X1741)

Damn, you have a long .sig

While we are on the subject, I'll repeat the question I still
haven't found an answer to:

HAs anyone found a way to contact the authors of WinQVT/Net (QPC
Software) by a means other than US Mail?

I have asked this question several times and, each time, I get
a few "me too" responses. So far, nobody has been able to
offer an electronic way to reach them. The search continues...

--
Cal...                               "Fight the power? Hell, I'm here
                                      to party with the power."

psheerin@zanzibar.saigon.com (Peter K. Sheerin) (03/30/91)

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:

> I have asked this question several times and, each time, I get
> a few "me too" responses. So far, nobody has been able to
> offer an electronic way to reach them [ The makers of WinQVTnet].
> The search continues...

Well, guess, what?!! You asked at just the right time. This message was
in the first batch that I've gotten from my feed, and just happen to have
the answer. Let's see, box, edit, Paste:  Pam Arnold 76676,1420. That, of
course, is a Compuserve number, and with any luck, and a little deamon in
oHIo, you should be able to reach them.

Good Luck!