[comp.windows.ms] Problems with Windows Everywhere!

beaker@milton.u.washington.edu (Clinton Olsen) (04/01/91)

Hello everyone!

I'm writing to you as a last resort, because I know when I have a
stumper of a question, even those nimrods at product support cannot
even answer it.

I recently updated my Win 3.0 with the supplemental drivers library.
This includes new printer drivers (including some Postscript ones),
screen drivers, and mouse and stuff.

To my dismay, installing these damn drivers was a real pain in the ass.
Not only was the documentation not accurate, the drivers were not
installing correctly.  I think I crashed Windows about 4 times to get
the things in place.

For my own purposes, I installed some new .WPD files to be added to
the PSCRIPT.DRV file.  This included the new NEC Silenwriter 2 Model 90
and an HP IID driver for the Adobe Postscript cartridge.

Now, Word for Windows 1.1 crashes bigger than life when I try to select
these two printers from Printer Setup.  After selecting these and exiting,
I get a UAE (Unrecoverable ...) in Word.  What's really bugging me is
that at one time, these drivers were working.

I do have ATM and have installed soft fonts.  I get one of those strange
errors about Souvenir not matching on Postscript drivers.  Disabling
ATM did not fix the problem of Word crashing.  Neither did reactivating
the printer using Control Panel.  I'm absolutely clueless.

I thought about reinstalling the drivers, but if they worked at one
time, how could they be corrupted now?

Anyone with any ideas please email me or post here.

Thanks ahead of time,

Clint Olsen
olsenc@maxwell.ee.washington.edu

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Apr1.064640.19618@milton.u.washington.edu> beaker@milton.u.washington.edu (Clinton Olsen) writes:
>I'm writing to you as a last resort, because I know when I have a
>stumper of a question, even those nimrods at product support cannot
>even answer it.

>I recently updated my Win 3.0 with the supplemental drivers library.
>This includes new printer drivers (including some Postscript ones),
>screen drivers, and mouse and stuff.

>For my own purposes, I installed some new .WPD files to be added to
>the PSCRIPT.DRV file.  This included the new NEC Silenwriter 2 Model 90
>and an HP IID driver for the Adobe Postscript cartridge.

We also went through similar trials & tribulations when adding a WPD file (QMS
in our case).  The problem (through experimentation) turned out to be an
incompatibility between the new WPD files & the old (as distributed with win3)
postscript driver.

We went through many steps trying to figure out what had to be corrected before
it would work and found that the following (overkill, but complete) works:

NOTE:  If you previously had a PS printer installed, start from step (1), otherwise, start from step (3).

1) edit win.ini & remove ALL references to PS printing
2) delete the PS driver & help files ... in our case it existed in more places
   than the \windows directory ... get rid of all copies.
3) using the NEW PS drivers on the supplemental drivers disk, install the
   generic PS driver.
	a) under the "control panel" in the "printers" section, select the
	   "Add printer" button to get a list of printers. Select a PS printer
	   from the list (such as the apple LASEWRITER) & then hit the
	   "install" button.  You will be prompted for the disk containing the
	   PS driver & help file (I forget which of the supplemental drivers
	   disks that would be).
	b) Once the PS driver is loaded, hit the "configure" button & select
	   the appropriate port.
	c) next hit the "setup" button.  At this point the 4th button from the
	   top will be the "add printer", select it & tell it to look on the
	   supplemental diskette that contains the WPD you want.
	d) At that point highlight the printer in question & hit the "add"
	   button.  When the process is complete, it will give you a status
	   message under the add button.  hit the "done" button.  If all went
	   well, then the just selected printer will show up as the printer on
	   the previous dialog box.  At this point "OK" your way back out and
	   you should be all set.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr