[net.auto] ATTN: 84/85 Honda Owners

kfb@houxb.UUCP (K.BRAND) (01/25/85)

If you have a 1984 or 85 Honda and have trouble getting it
started, particularly in cold weather, it may be a problem
with your car.
I had this problem and took the car to my local dealer.
After only two visits (Less than the average of three that it
usually takes to fix a problem) they informed me that
84 and 85 Hondas have this one of three possible defects which
makes them difficult to start.
Of course, there is the usual stuff about make and serial # identifying
the exact problem.
Anyway, there are 3 kits that the dealer had to fix this problem.
So don't let your local dealer tell you that you haven't got a problem.
Force them to check into these kits if you have a starting problem.
By the way, It's only been 2
days so it's too early to tell if the kit really helped.

                                                   Kevin Brand
                                                   houxb!kfb

review@drutx.UUCP (Millham) (01/26/85)

It seems to me that every 3 or 4 years, you here about Hondas being
recalled for "cold starting problems"!

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!drutx!review

I'd rather buy American (I did)

mikey@trsvax.UUCP (01/27/85)

Depending on where you live, Hondas ARE American.

mikey at trsvax

josh@gcc-opus.ARPA (Josh Littlefield) (01/28/85)

[]

In article <408@houxb.UUCP> kfb@houxb.UUCP (K.BRAND) writes:
>If you have a 1984 or 85 Honda and have trouble getting it
>started, particularly in cold weather, it may be a problem
>with your car.

Honda sent me a recall-type notice for my 84 Accord LX HB a couple of
weeks ago offering to analyze the car and fix the cold starting problem
if they feel one exists. My starting problem is a little different,
though. Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior?

My car starts like a dream in cold weather. I go out on a frosty morning
(say 10 deg.F) and just turn the key without touching the gas. Its
running in 3 secs. Wonderful, you say? Sure, as long as the engine's cold.
If the sucker's all warmed up and I stop for 10 minutes, its flooded
before I get in the car. The ONLY way I can start it is to treat it like
its flooded (cranking it with the pedal held down), and when it starts
it smells rather unpleasant.

I mentioned this to the dealer once when having something else fixed,
and they thought I was crazy. "Won't start when its WARM? HA! HA! You're
crazy!", they said. Of course they "checked it out and it was fine."

Now I think I know the fundamentals of starting cars enough to believe
this is more my car's fault than mine, but I'm open to suggestions. A
friend thought it might be a result of the CVCC design. I'm interested
in knowing if anyone else has experienced this, and *dying* to know if
there's a solution.
					Josh Littlefield

					uucp:seismo!harvard!gcc-opus!josh
					phone: (617) 492-5500

ela@hoxna.UUCP (E.Asbeck) (01/30/85)

My '85 Honda Prelude has started first time, every time.  Even
during the recent sub-zero weather here in NJ and during a recent
trip to VT.

Eric Asbeck     AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel     {houxf,harpo}!hoxna!ela