[comp.windows.ms] Mac PICT to PC

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (04/02/91)

I'm trying to use Word on both the Mac (version 4.0) and Windows
(version 1.1).  Using RTF files, just about everything comes over
nicely (although some font names are annoyingly different).  Drawings
in Mac PICT format do not come over at all.  This is a major headache;
it kills all my hopes of good "interoperability" between my desktop
machine and my laptop.  Bummer.

Is there any way to get PICT files to transfer properly?  If not, what
are my next best options?  Will translation programs like Word for Word
help me?  Must I go to EPS or some other less desireable format on the
Mac?  What can I do?

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (04/03/91)

In article <10285@pitt.UUCP>, jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
> I'm trying to use Word on both the Mac (version 4.0) and Windows
> (version 1.1).  Using RTF files, just about everything comes over
> nicely (although some font names are annoyingly different).  Drawings
> in Mac PICT format do not come over at all.  This is a major headache;
> it kills all my hopes of good "interoperability" between my desktop
> machine and my laptop.  Bummer.
>
> Is there any way to get PICT files to transfer properly?  If not, what
> are my next best options?  Will translation programs like Word for Word
> help me?  Must I go to EPS or some other less desireable format on the
> Mac?  What can I do?

I believe there is a commercial program called MacLinkPlus/PC (by DataViz if I
recall correctly) that converts from numerous Mac word processing formats to PC
formats, including graphics.

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)