[comp.windows.ms] Non-Windows Appl Parm Prompt Converts Characters

baos@caip.rutgers.edu (Bancroft Scott) (04/03/91)

If in the definition of a PIF I enter parameters in the "Optional
Parameters" field, or if I use a "?" to indicate that I wish to be
prompted for parameters when I double click on the application icon,
Windows converts the parameters to upper case.  This is
undesirable when running applications such as Microsoft's C compiler
whose parameters are case sensitive.

I assume that there is some simple way to instruct Windows to not do
this case conversion, but I have not found it.  Suggestions, anyone?

p.s.: I am running in 386 enhanced mode.

Bancroft Scott

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (04/03/91)

In article <Apr.2.20.13.23.1991.24936@caip.rutgers.edu> baos@caip.rutgers.edu (Bancroft Scott) writes:
>If in the definition of a PIF I enter parameters in the "Optional
>Parameters" field, or if I use a "?" to indicate that I wish to be
>prompted for parameters when I double click on the application icon,
>Windows converts the parameters to upper case.  This is
>undesirable when running applications such as Microsoft's C compiler
>whose parameters are case sensitive.

Microemacs for windows has the same/a related problem. I've defined my
*.c files to be associated with mewin.exe, so when I double click on
one, I enter memacs, editing said file. However, I guess that windows
passes the name of the file to memacs as uppercase, so memacs opens a
buffer for the file in uppercase. It is case sensitive when switching
buffers, and this is very irritating... becuase unless you remember to
type the buffer name in uppercase, it won't switch to that original
buffer. Any other buffers opened with ^X^F have *their* buffer names
in lower case...

Sigh...

kartik
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)