[comp.windows.ms] WFW & ATM -- where are my fonts?

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (03/28/91)

I installed ATM and all the extra fonts.  WFW is happy.  Pagemaker3.0 is
happy.  The HPIII is happy. No problem, right?

Nope.

Here's the problem:  I downloaded the fonts at cica (or whereever they
came from) and installed them.  ATM recognizes all of them.  Pagemaker3.0
is still happy.  It will print all of 'em (and they look GOOD!).
Catch: Word for Windows still won't recognize ALL of the fonts.  Out of
107 fonts, WFW knows 46.  They aren't the first 46, it appears to be a
random sorta thing.  I've already chosen printer setup and done all that
nice stuff, but WFW won't recognize them while Pagemaker will!

What is it I am doing wrong?  Is it me?  Is it Word? HELP!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
J Parker
--
 James Parker   (parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
   WVU ComputerScience     |

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/29/91)

In article <1384@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>Catch: Word for Windows still won't recognize ALL of the fonts.  Out of
>107 fonts, WFW knows 46.

Have you by any chance taken into account that if win.ini say's it has
"softfonts=107", the number of font FAMILIES is actually less than that.  *IF*
all the cica fonts covered the Roman/italic/bold/bold_italic faces for each
font family, w4w should only list 107/4=26.75 different font names.

The fact that you complain about w4w and not PM says this might not be the
problem.

I checked on my system & the 107 cica fonts result in 102 fonts in the w4w
font-pulldown (but that must be intermixed with system fonts), while my ATM
control panel shows about 65 different font-families.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca (Tony GERARDIS) (04/03/91)

In article <2832@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>In article <1384@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>>Catch: Word for Windows still won't recognize ALL of the fonts.  Out of
>>107 fonts, WFW knows 46.
>
>Have you by any chance taken into account that if win.ini say's it has
>"softfonts=107", the number of font FAMILIES is actually less than that.  *IF*
>all the cica fonts covered the Roman/italic/bold/bold_italic faces for each
>font family, w4w should only list 107/4=26.75 different font names.

     I had the same problem with WFW after installing additional fonts!
     However my solution was simple, Just delete the winword.ini file
     from your \winword directory, and then start up WFW. It should ask
     you for your name again and then you might have to reset all your
     defaults (I don't bother since the defaults are all fine for me)
     however you will have all the fonts available!

     This should work! My friend also had the same problem, did the same
     and it works fine now!

			     Let me know How it turns out!
                                              Tony.

 gerardis@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca  | The sun is the same in a relative way,

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.024006.25683@cs.mcgill.ca>,
gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca (Tony GERARDIS) writes:

> In article <2832@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com
> (Leo Hinds) writes:
>>In article <1384@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker)
>>writes:
>>>Catch: Word for Windows still won't recognize ALL of the fonts.  Out of
>>>107 fonts, WFW knows 46.
>>
>>Have you by any chance taken into account that if win.ini say's it has
>>"softfonts=107", the number of font FAMILIES is actually less than that.
>>*IF* all the cica fonts covered the Roman/italic/bold/bold_italic faces for
>>each font family, w4w should only list 107/4=26.75 different font names.
>
>      I had the same problem with WFW after installing additional fonts!
>      However my solution was simple, Just delete the winword.ini file
>      from your winword directory, and then start up WFW. It should ask
>      you for your name again and then you might have to reset all your
>      defaults (I don't bother since the defaults are all fine for me)
>      however you will have all the fonts available!

Another way to do it (mentioned in the ATM manual) is to go to Printer Setup
(under the File menu of Word for Windows, NOT in Control Panel), select your
printer and choose OK.  This will cause Word for Windows to update its internal
font list and won't require you to lose all your default settings.

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)