[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 Questions

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (05/25/90)

In article <265D3597.14432@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>In article <96623@tiger.oxy.edu> traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) writes:
>>
>>Yes there is a 386 enhanced mode version. That is clearly the version
>>of choice, and I suspect many people will upgrade their hardware to make
>>use of it (me included - I have 2 286s).
>>
>Is this 386 enhanced mode version part of the standard package of Windows 3.0?
>In other words do 386 owners buy a different version or is there only one
>version that can be configured for either a 286 or a 386?

Yes, the 386 enhanced mode is part of the same package. Setup automatically
detects your hardware and configures the software accordingly. In the manual,
386-specific features are flagged as such.

>While I'm at it, does it have an 8514/A driver?  Carl Riehm

Yes it does.

Saul Traiger

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (05/25/90)

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (05/25/90)

In article <90144.130036IYO@psuvm.psu.edu> IYO@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> 2. Can I get upgrades for Windows 286 and 386?  Is it the same upgrade
> kit? (so I don't have to invest in two kits for two machines.)

If you have two machines that you are going to run Windows 3.0 on you
still MUST get two upgrades. Windows 3.0 comes with only a SINGLE CPU
license. However, Windows 3.0 will work on both 80286 and 80368 systems.

Clancy Malloy
att!ihlpf!cem

sang@daydreamer.East.Sun.COM (Sang Shin - Sun PC Distributed Systems) (05/26/90)

In article <265D3597.14432@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>Is this 386 enhanced mode version part of the standard package of Windows 3.0?
>In other words do 386 owners buy a different version or is there only one
>version that can be configured for either a 286 or a 386?

Windows 3.0 introduced several significant enhancements in the
area of installation/configuration.

First, a single package supports both 286 and 386 machines. In fact,
it installs itself optimally according to the processor type.

Second, changing a system configuration, for example replacing
the display adaptor, does not require a Reinstallation.  Support
for new hardware is as easy as copying the proper device
driver in the proper directory.

Third, a single copy of WIndows 3.0 can be shared among multiple
users in a networking environment.  Only .INI files need to be
kept individually.

>While I'm at it, does it have an 8514/A driver?  Carl Riehm

Yes.

+  SangChul Shin                   Sun Microsystems, Inc.         +
+  Internet: sshin@sun.com         PC Distributed Systems Group   +
+  UUCP:     ..!sun!sshin          Yes, PC-NFS was born here..    +
+  Phone:    (508)671-0531                                        +

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May25.141829.1241@cbnewsc.att.com> freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:
>If you have two machines that you are going to run Windows 3.0 on you
>still MUST get two upgrades. Windows 3.0 comes with only a SINGLE CPU
>license. However, Windows 3.0 will work on both 80286 and 80368 systems.

Not quite true.  It actually comes with a single CPU _OR_ single user
license.  Quoting my license card:

"However, if one individual uses the Dedicated Computer more than 80% of the
time it is in use, then that individual also may use the SOFTWARE on a
portable or home computer."

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <1990May22.183946.3307@cs.umn.edu> gardiner@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (David Gardiner) writes:
>What about screen fonts?  For example, does it display symbols and
>dingbats correctly on the screen?

As near as I can tell (though I never had a change to explore the area much)
there isn't much new in the way of Font support (except maybe a couple extra
fonts).

>Is there support for any of the Super VGA boards such as the ATI VGA Wonder?

You'll have to talk to ATI about that.  There is increased adapter support
for 3.0, but that board is not one of them.

>How does performance compare to 2.xx?

Depends on the computer you're using.  On a 20MHz 386 with 3 meg of memory it
works pretty well.  On a 640K machine, well, it won't.

>Is a 386 specific version included?  The upgrade info suggested yes,
>but it wasn't clear to me.  The Minneapolis Star Tribune indicated
>that a 386 specific version will come later (obviously not to be
>considered a reliable source).

There is only one version of Windows now.  It will go into one of three modes,
depending on the hardware you are using.  It supports real mode, 286 protected,
and 386 protected (real, standard, enhanced).

>Will existing Windows programs work with 3.0?  The new versions of programs
>will work better, but until the upgrades come, can we use Windows 3.0?

You will probably have to run Windows in real mode to run old Windows
applications.  There are some exceptions to this rule.  For instance, I've
found that simple public domain programs will work fine.

>What about (dare I say) non-Windows applications?  Can you run them in
>separate, non-full-screen windows, ala the new version of OS/2?

Yes.  You've been able to do this with Windows 386 for a while.  Windows 3.0
can still do it, provided you're on a 386 in protected mode.  Those 286
and 8086 users out there are out of luck.  Sorry.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <96623@tiger.oxy.edu> traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) writes:

>In article <1990May22.183946.3307@cs.umn.edu> gardiner@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (David Gardiner) writes:
>I attended the press release in Los Angeles. It was glitzy but informative.
>The best part was that each attendee was given a copy of Windows 3.0.  It
>certainly is icon-based and it works in protected mode.

Gee, I was there too.  I wonder if I bumped into you among the 1000+ people
that attended the announcement?
@:)
--

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (05/31/90)

In article <7281@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:
|In article <1990May25.141829.1241@cbnewsc.att.com> freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:
|>If you have two machines that you are going to run Windows 3.0 on you
|>still MUST get two upgrades. Windows 3.0 comes with only a SINGLE CPU
|>license. However, Windows 3.0 will work on both 80286 and 80368 systems.
|
|Not quite true.  It actually comes with a single CPU _OR_ single user
|license.  Quoting my license card:

|"However, if one individual uses the Dedicated Computer more than 80% of the
|time it is in use, then that individual also may use the SOFTWARE on a
|portable or home computer."

From reading my license card, I get the impression that you can
install Windows on any number of machines, as long as anyone using
Windows on any one of those machines has either that license card or a
substitute acceptable to Microsoft (if you buy a 6-CPU network
license, I don't see why they'd send you six sets of disks -- but you
would have six 'proof-of-license' cards) _in their possession_.

So remember, if you're going to use your Windows on your portable,
better make sure you keep your license card with you -- you never know
when some nerdy four-eyed Microsoft agent is going to report you for
license violation.

 Sean Malloy                                   | "What are these . . . whores-
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | doovers?"
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | "Or-dervs. It's a Frog word
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | that means munchies."
                                               | "Oh. They could have said."

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (04/02/91)

I have just got Windows 3.0 over the weekend. I have a 33MHz 386 clone with
2 Meg of memory. I have the following questions and hope to get some answers.

It seems that Windows can run in enhanced mode only if HIMEM.SYS is installed.
The problem is if HIMEM.SYS is installed it takes up all the extended memory
available such that I cannot run programs like Lotus 123 version 3.0 under DOS
with modifying config.sys and reboot. Is there a way to limit how much
HIMEM.SYS can take?

I was trying to run Lotus 123 version 3.0 in Windows enhanced mode and it
complained about not liking 123 to switch into protected mode. It seems to
work in standard mode. Question: is there a way to run 123 version 3.0 in
enhanced mode or is it hopeless?

In enhanced mode, Windows will try to assign the com port to whatever programs
trying to use it. There are 3 options: (1) ask you whenever your program
tries to use the com port and allocate the com port to that program only;
(2) don't ask anything and make the com port available to all; (3) check the
com port once in a while and allocate the com port to whoever needs it. The
problem is that when I tried to use any DOS communication program, only
option (1) would work. Using other options will either generate a lot a
garbage or Windows keeps asking you whether it is OK to give the program
the com port. Is there a way to pick(1) without having Windows prompting you
everytime you use a DOS comm. program (actually, it prompted you even if you
just go into DOS without running anything)?

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.155841.4106@meadow.uucp>,
py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) writes:

> I was trying to run Lotus 123 version 3.0 in Windows enhanced mode and it
> complained about not liking 123 to switch into protected mode. It seems to
> work in standard mode. Question: is there a way to run 123 version 3.0 in
> enhanced mode or is it hopeless?

The problem is that 123 version 3.0 did not conform to the DOS Protected Mode
Interface (DPMI) that Windows requires DOS-extended programs to use.  123 3.0
used an older specification called VCPI (Virtual Control Program Interface).
What you should do is upgrade to 123 Version 3.1, which uses DPMI and is able
to run from enhanced mode.

> In enhanced mode, Windows will try to assign the com port to whatever program
> trying to use it. There are 3 options: (1) ask you whenever your program
> tries to use the com port and allocate the com port to that program only;
> (2) don't ask anything and make the com port available to all; (3) check the
> com port once in a while and allocate the com port to whoever needs it. The
> problem is that when I tried to use any DOS communication program, only
> option (1) would work. Using other options will either generate a lot a
> garbage or Windows keeps asking you whether it is OK to give the program
> the com port. Is there a way to pick(1) without having Windows prompting you
> everytime you use a DOS comm. program (actually, it prompted you even if you
> just go into DOS without running anything)?

Check your PIF file to see if you have the Uses COM1 (or COM2 or whatever) box
checked.  If it is, then Windows assumes the program uses the COM port.
Perhaps all the extra times Windows is asking about the COM port are due to the
fact that you may inadvertently have the Uses COM1 box checked in many of your
PIF files when it is not necessary.

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/04/91)

*>I have just got Windows 3.0 over the weekend. I have a 33MHz 386 clone with
*>2 Meg of memory. I have the following questions and hope to get some answers.

I'd add another 2 Megs at least if I were you. 2 Megs is
pretty minimal on a Windows machine.

*>It seems that Windows can run in enhanced mode only if HIMEM.SYS is installed.
*>The problem is if HIMEM.SYS is installed it takes up all the extended memory
*>available such that I cannot run programs like Lotus 123 version 3.0 under DOS
*>with modifying config.sys and reboot. Is there a way to limit how much
*>HIMEM.SYS can take?

See above.

 >I was trying to run Lotus 123 version 3.0 in Windows enhanced mode and it
 >complained about not liking 123 to switch into protected mode. It seems to
 >work in standard mode. Question: is there a way to run 123 version 3.0 in
 >enhanced mode or is it hopeless?

I've never been able to get 3.0 to work with Windows. Thats
why Lotus released 3.1 (which still doesn't run quite right).

There was a package called "3 for 3" that let you run the OS/2
version of Lotus 3 (shipped "free" with the Dos version) in a
Window, and it even added a nice mouse friendly menu bar to
the window. It sort of became obsolete when 3.1 came out.

Come to think of it, I've had problems getting Lotus 2.0 to
run under Windows. It doesn't care whether I run in a window,
full screen or from a command.com session. It just quits
suddenly. No error messages, nothing. And it always quits
15 seconds after launching. Weird.

We'll have to wait for Lotus for Windows (L4W?) and retire
our Lotus for Dos.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !