[comp.windows.ms] *APPEND /E *

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (04/04/91)

In article <2530@sumax.seattleu.edu> sabidojm@sumax.seattleu.edu (Jeffery) writes:
>Hi,
>
>   I have a question concerning the DOS APPEND /E.  I had just finished
>installing WINDOWS 3.0 in my 386.  I have 2mb ram.  Now I am wondering
>is it wise to have APPEND /E in my autoexec.bat file?  Doesn't APPEND /E
>access the extra 1mb of RAM so that WIN 3.0 would be in standard mode?

NO!  The DOS APPEND command has nothing to do with memory!
Append creates a "path" that DOS will search for files when it is asked
to do so by some programs.

E.g., if your linker has trouble finding its library in another directory,
APPENDing that directory may help the linker find it when executing.  (Some
programs cannot handle a path name, only a file name)
The /E parameter stores the APPENDed path in the environment.

Refer to your DOS manual for further information about APPEND

>   Please excuse my ignorance.  I would like some clarification on the
>best way to install windows.  I am new at this stuff.  I would also like
>to know the best way to run multi-tasking on windows.

This is clearly explained in the Windows manual.

--
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||