[comp.windows.ms] 286 w Above Board?

hayesel@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Erik Hayes) (04/03/91)

Has anyone had problems running a 286 w/Above board.  I have 2M on the board
but HIMEM does not act with it properly.  Win 3 runs slow and jagged as hell.

I also have a HardCard for a hard drive.  I just want to run cleanly in standard
mode.  Real runs fine.

Thanks
ERik

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (04/04/91)

In article <9307@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>,
hayesel@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Erik Hayes) writes:
> Has anyone had problems running a 286 w/Above board.  I have 2M on the board
> but HIMEM does not act with it properly.  Win 3 runs slow and jagged as hell.
>
> I also have a HardCard for a hard drive.  I just want to run cleanly in
> standard mode.  Real runs fine.

If it is the Intel Above Board you are talking about, you have EXPANDED memory,
which under Windows 3.0 is usable by Windows only in real mode.  To use
standard mode you need EXTENDED memory.  Some memory cards allow you to flip
DIP switches to change your memory type from EXPANDED to EXTENDED.

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) (04/04/91)

Sanjay> In article <9307@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>,
Sanjay> hayesel@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Erik Hayes) writes:
> Has anyone had problems running a 286 w/Above board.  I have 2M on the board
.
.
Sanjay> If it is the Intel Above Board you are talking about, you have EXPANDED memory,
Sanjay> which under Windows 3.0 is usable by Windows only in real mode.  To use
Sanjay> standard mode you need EXTENDED memory.  Some memory cards allow you to flip
Sanjay> DIP switches to change your memory type from EXPANDED to EXTENDED.

With Intel's Above Board you need no DIP switches; it has those settings in
CMOS, that is they are settable with a program. You can have either all the
memory as expanded or extended or something between (in 0.5 MB steps).
--
Arto V. Viitanen				         email: av@kielo.uta.fi
University Of Tampere,				   	    av@ohdake.cs.uta.fi

hayesel@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Erik Hayes) (04/04/91)

I am using my Above board as 2M extended and I have 1M extended on my motherboard.  I think that himem is having a problem with it.  Should I upgrade from DOS
3.3 to 4.0 and use the himem that comes with it? Bye the way, my mother is from
Tapiola, it is nice to hear from a Fin.

Hay Hay,

ERik