[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 and HP LaserJet IIP

grit@purcell.CS.ColoState.Edu (Dale Grit) (03/19/91)

I can't get Windows 3.0 to talk to my HP LaserJet IIP.

I am running Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode.
The printer installation and configuration appeared to be trivial.
All setup screens seem to be correct.

But, when I try to print (eg. from Write or FileManager), I get:
   Printer Error:
   Cannot Print:  An error has occurred while printing --
   make sure the printer is properly configured and selected.

Windows also won't let me print to a file.

I have no trouble using the DOS print command or with printing from
WordPerfect.

Dale Grit  grit@cs.colostate.edu

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (03/20/91)

In article <13581@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> grit@purcell.CS.ColoState.Edu (Dale Grit) writes:
>I can't get Windows 3.0 to talk to my HP LaserJet IIP.
>
>I am running Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode.
>The printer installation and configuration appeared to be trivial.
>All setup screens seem to be correct.
>
>But, when I try to print (eg. from Write or FileManager), I get:
>   Printer Error:
>   Cannot Print:  An error has occurred while printing --
>   make sure the printer is properly configured and selected.
>
>Windows also won't let me print to a file.
>
>I have no trouble using the DOS print command or with printing from
>WordPerfect.
>
>Dale Grit  grit@cs.colostate.edu

How about this...

Is the TEMP environment variable pointing to a directory that exists?  If
the variable has a non-null value, but it is not a legal directory, Windows
printing attempts crap out with just that error, not something intelligent
like "Cannot open temporary spool file."

I was bit by this one once, and had NO IDEA FOR DAYS, and just tried clearing
AUTOEXEC, CONFIG.SYS, etc. out of desperation.

But it does prove that Microsoft has infringed on the Mac operating system, as
this error seems quite similar to the infamous [BOMB PICTURE] ID=whatever that
the Mac experiences.

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.

markw@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (mark williams) (03/21/91)

Re:  Windows 3.0 and HP Laserjet IIP:
This printer works fine for me, from numerous Windows applications (Word,
Excel, Designer).  Perhaps the Windows printer setup is not correct.  Here's
the procedure, demonstrating the ease of use of Windows.

1.  If Windows is installed, from the Main Group choose Control Panel.
2.  From the Control Panel choose Printers.
3.  From the Printers box choose ADD PRINTER.
4.  From the list of printers choose the Laserjet IIP.
5.  Choose Install...
At this point, you be prompted to load the Laserjet Driver, from one of
the Windows Setup disks.  All the HP laserjets use the same driver (HPPCL.DRV,
I think).  Load the driver if it's not already loaded --- Windows prompts.
6.  After getting the driver loaded, select a printer port (LPT1, etc.) that
tells windows where your printer is connected.  Click OK.
7.  Choose Configure.
8   Choose Setup.
At this point you can tell Windows how your printer is configured.  You
probably will use Portrait Orientation, default memory, no font cartridges
and 300 DPI graphics, but follow your configuration.  Click OK!
9.  Click OK again!!
10.  Click OK again!!!
You should be done.  Print something from Notepad (say some Readme.txt).
Good Luck.

rm3@ornl.gov (MCBROOM R C) (04/04/91)

In article <13496@helios.TAMU.EDU> jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) writes:
>In article <13581@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> grit@purcell.CS.ColoState.Edu (Dale Grit) writes:
>>I can't get Windows 3.0 to talk to my HP LaserJet IIP.
>>
>>I am running Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode.
>>The printer installation and configuration appeared to be trivial.
>>All setup screens seem to be correct.
>>
>>But, when I try to print (eg. from Write or FileManager), I get:
>>   Printer Error:
>>   Cannot Print:  An error has occurred while printing --
>>   make sure the printer is properly configured and selected.
>>
>>Windows also won't let me print to a file.
>>
>>I have no trouble using the DOS print command or with printing from
>>WordPerfect.
>>
>>Dale Grit  grit@cs.colostate.edu
>
>How about this...
>
>Is the TEMP environment variable pointing to a directory that exists?  If
>the variable has a non-null value, but it is not a legal directory, Windows
>printing attempts crap out with just that error, not something intelligent
>like "Cannot open temporary spool file."
>
>I was bit by this one once, and had NO IDEA FOR DAYS, and just tried clearing
>AUTOEXEC, CONFIG.SYS, etc. out of desperation.
>
>But it does prove that Microsoft has infringed on the Mac operating system, as
>this error seems quite similar to the infamous [BOMB PICTURE] ID=whatever that
>the Mac experiences.

You can get this problem if there is a space instead of a cr/lf immediately
following the name on your TEMP= statement.  Which in saving a file in DOS text
mode Wordperfect 5.0 seems to want to add.

Robert McBroom internet: rm3@ornl.gov

Patricia_Elizabeth_Houser@cup.portal.com (04/05/91)

I got the same error (Unable to print...) and it turned out the disk was full
and Windows could not create a temp file, even without using printmanager.

Deleting old ~*.TMP files that were left from UAE's fixed the problem.

Patti Houser