[comp.windows.ms] A ChemIntosh for the PC???

gus@plains.NoDak.edu (jim gustafson) (03/30/91)

A chemistry collegue who doesn't have net access asked if I'd make
this post (i.e., I don't know much about chemistry, bonding, etc.).

She's interested in recommendations about IBM PC-compatible software
that works something like ChemIntosh, a Mac-based product.

I've heard a little about ChemDraw for the PC, but apart from ChemDraw
I don't know of any other products that even remotely work like ChemIntosh.

The target platform is an 80286 with hard drive and VGA support.

Thanks in Advance.
Jim.
--
Jim Gustafson                   UUCP:     uunet!plains!gus
North Dakota State University   Bitnet:   gus@plains

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (03/30/91)

In article <9248@plains.NoDak.edu> gus@plains.NoDak.edu (jim gustafson) writes:

>She's interested in recommendations about IBM PC-compatible software
>that works something like ChemIntosh, a Mac-based product.
>
>I've heard a little about ChemDraw for the PC, but apart from ChemDraw
>I don't know of any other products that even remotely work like ChemIntosh.
>
>The target platform is an 80286 with hard drive and VGA support.

Well, SoftShell (the guys who write ChemIntosh II) also market a simular
program for the IBM (ick) called ChemWindow.  Since I own a mac, I can't
say much about it.  They will though, send you a free demo disk of it --
just call them at 303-242-7502.  They also have some neat looking stuff for
searching CAS, Dialog, etc with a Graphical User Interface, if that interests
anyone.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

jmmaye@monsanto.com (Jim Mayer) (03/31/91)

In article <9248@plains.NoDak.edu>, gus@plains.NoDak.edu (jim gustafson) writes:
> She's interested in recommendations about IBM PC-compatible software
> that works something like ChemIntosh, a Mac-based product.

SoftShell who created ChemIntosh also sells ChemWindow.  It runs under
MS-Windows and is very similar in look and operation to ChemIntosh.  It
supports direct output from Windows, cut and paste to other Windows
applications, and saving as encapsulated Postscript or WordPerfect graphics
format.  I don't have the address/phone handy now, but it should be in
the ChemIntosh manual.

Another reasonable product is MPG (Molecular Presentation Graphics) which
is available in Windows and non-Windows versions.  The look and feel
of this package is quite different and I find it more difficult to use
and to remember who to use than ChemWindow.

--------------
I have no connection to either company and opinions are my own.
Jim Mayer

igelkott@athena.mit.edu (Wesley R Schaal) (04/05/91)

In article <9248@plains.NoDak.edu> gus@plains.NoDak.edu (jim gustafson) writes:
>A chemistry collegue who doesn't have net access asked if I'd make
>this post (i.e., I don't know much about chemistry, bonding, etc.).
>
>She's interested in recommendations about IBM PC-compatible software
>that works something like ChemIntosh, a Mac-based product.
>
>I've heard a little about ChemDraw for the PC, but apart from ChemDraw
>I don't know of any other products that even remotely work like ChemIntosh.
>
>The target platform is an 80286 with hard drive and VGA support.
>
>Thanks in Advance.
>Jim.

I use Wimp2001 from Aldrich. It's ok.