[comp.windows.ms] Another project suggestion...

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (04/03/91)

Here's an idea for a Windows programming project that I'm surprised
hasn't been attempted yet.  One of my biggest gripes with Windows is
that the Program Manager only has one level of menuing -- groups and
icons within groups.  What I would like is a Program Manager which
allows me to put groups within groups.  I know there are programs like
Usher and Backmenu that allow me to create custom menus, but I really
like the graphical interface of Progman.
This program, to be REALLY nice, BTW, would have the following
features:  Compatibility with the existing .ico format for icons (and
of course embedded icons and .dll libraries.).  The ability to assign
.ico files to groups as well as programs.  The same general look and
feel as Progman, perhaps, but with the addition of groups within
groups and maybe even icons in the main window without a group.

If somebody were REALLY ambitious, some File manager features would be
nice to have as well, but this is just a suggestion.

I just think this is a nice idea and would do it myself if I had the
expertise (and I don't. :-) I also bet that this would be nice for
network managers who need to make network menus and cannot because
progman only has one layer.

Like I said, this is just a suggestion.  BTW, if there is already a
program around with this functionality, PLEASE let me know...

Thanks,
Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.071441.28618@leland.Stanford.EDU> elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) writes:
>Here's an idea for a Windows programming project that I'm surprised
>hasn't been attempted yet.  One of my biggest gripes with Windows is
>that the Program Manager only has one level of menuing -- groups and
>icons within groups.  What I would like is a Program Manager which
>allows me to put groups within groups.  I know there are programs like
>Usher and Backmenu that allow me to create custom menus, but I really
>like the graphical interface of Progman.
> Deleted stuff..
>Like I said, this is just a suggestion.  BTW, if there is already a
>program around with this functionality, PLEASE let me know...
>
>Thanks,
>Adam Elman
>elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

Try Aporia 1.4 It completely replaces ProgMan and FileMgr and has an object
oriented interface.
     On cica.cica.indiana.edu the file name is /pub/pc/win3/util/aporia14.zip
	NewTools
	POB 3269 Church Street Station
	N.Y., N.Y.
	10008-3269
	Phone 718-789-5980
--
 Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
 Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (04/05/91)

Thanks to all those who e-mailed me and told me about several
solutions to the problem I described in the initial post (the need for
a tree-menuable interface like Progman)  Most people told me to try
"folders2.zip", which is available on cica in the /pub/pc/win3/util
directory.  I did try it.  It seems to do it, but it's a little slower
than ideal for what I wanted, and for some reason it seems to have a
fairly limited choice for icons within its folders , and I was
apparently unable to use my 500+ icon collection with it.  Otherwise,
it seemed to work ok...Not that I gave it particularly huge testing,
just a quick look.
I have tried Aporia, another suggestion I received, in the past -- I
didn't really like it all that much, but I've been considering giving
it a try for a few days rather than the 10 minutes or so I actually
gave it last time... :-)

Finally, the one program that was suggested to me that I really liked
was the PubTech File Manager.  This nifty program looks a lot like a
Mac, but the icons are apparently customizable.  But it has directory
windows with icons for each file, point-and-click file renaming, etc.
Unfortunately, the program was a crippled demo version and the actual
software costs $99.95, which is more than my budget can handle right
now.

But if anyone needs a file manager like this, it did look useful and
pleasant to look at.  You might try the demo -- it's also on cica in
the same directory as folders2.zip and aporia14.zip as "pubtech.zip".

Again, thanks to those who e-mailed me and posted, and if anyone has
any more ideas, please let me know!

Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu