[comp.windows.ms] Upload - NEWPAPER13.ZIP

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (04/04/91)

I have uploaded to CICA NEWPAPER13.ZIP. This is a development of the original
program by Jim Button. Run it each day, and it'll change your wallpaper.
It has 2 enhancements over the original:

1. it keeps track of whether each bitmap should be tiled or centered (by storing
a flag in WIN.INI for each filename), and

2. it assumes each bitmap has been compressed by PKZIP, and that PKUNZIP.PIF is
available. (FRED.BMP must be stored as FRED.ZIP).

If you don't want to be bothered with zipping your bitmaps (it saved me more
than 3 MB of disk space), you can use NEWPAPER12.ZIP, also on CICA, which just
implements point 1 above.

Have fun. The source is included. Comments to the undersigned.
  |  Roger Hadgraft                 +----------------------------------+
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |

nef@mace.cc.purdue.edu (paulhicks) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.222121.86529@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) writes:
>I have uploaded to CICA NEWPAPER13.ZIP. This is a development of the original
>program by Jim Button. Run it each day, and it'll change your wallpaper.
>--
>  +--------------------------------------+
>  |  Roger Hadgraft                 +----------------------------------+
>  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
>  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
>  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |
>  |  Clayton, Vic. 3168. Australia. +----------------------------------+
>  +--------------------------------------+

Roger, I think this is a wonderful idea!  I downloaded the program yesterday,
and played around with it last night.  I would use the program, except for
one problem.  In the documentaltion you say that the BMPs must be kept in
the windows directory.  However, I like to keep my windows directory free of
any clutter.  With 20 or more bitmaps, you can see my problem.  So,
is there anyway that I can run newspaper(v.13) but keep my zipped
BMP files in a separtate directory? I tried a few things, but all that happened
was that the bmp files got unziped, but they stayed around, so that
I had not only the ziped files but the origional bmp files as well!
(Sigh)

Thanks, Paul
|"...and on the eigth day god created the Sauter Mean Diameter." |
|                                   - D.W.Senser                 |