[comp.windows.ms] Comm programs

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (04/06/91)

ccfac@nt.sait.edu.au writes:
>> 1) I am still looking for a good coom program for Win 3.0.  [...]
>>       Terminal is OK but it only supports Xmodem/CRC and Kermit. I tried
>>	 WNQVT455 and it has more protocols, but only came with EGA fonts [...]
>>       Also, with the Procomm+ I am using, I can use ANSI. Somehow, the 2
>>       programs I mentioned do not. So when I log on to certain BBS, I see a
>>       lot of garbage. Can anyone help? Is Unicom a better program?

> Hmmm... I thought WNQVT455 support ANSI.  Maybe I'm wrong...  If you are a
> rich man, you can always try commercial comm software like CrossTalk for
> Windows.  I have been using it and its pretty good.

I have been using WinComm for almost six months now, and I rarely go back to
ProComm+ any more.  WinComm is commercial (Synappsys Software, $149 list) but
I have found it to be an excellent package.  It has a good script language,
good font choices, lots of protocols (X/Y/Z-Modem, Kermit, CIS), enough
emulations (VT52, VT102, Ansi, Vidtex) and an innovative "session manager"
system.  It includes a set of utilities for designing complex scripts, doing
keyboard mapping, data compression and so on.  Recommended.  (Disclaimer: I
have not used WinComm at speeds beyond 2400 baud).

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]