[comp.windows.ms] Put Word 5.0 in a Window

klliou@milton.u.washington.edu (Kan-Lee Liou) (03/30/91)

I cannot start Word 5.0 in a window (enhanced mode, of course), but I
can start Word with full screen and then change it to a window..
Should I modify something in the PIF?  (The error message is "..You cannot
start this application when other high-resolution application.....", but
closing other application did not help)

Kan

curt@cctb.wa.com (Curt Johnson) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar30.075421.25921@milton.u.washington.edu> klliou@milton.u.washington.edu (Kan-Lee Liou) writes:
| I cannot start Word 5.0 in a window (enhanced mode, of course), but I
| can start Word with full screen and then change it to a window..
| Should I modify something in the PIF?  (The error message is "..You cannot
| start this application when other high-resolution application.....", but
| closing other application did not help)

I think your problem is that Word is running in a graphics mode that
Windows can't put in a window.  The solution would be to look in your
Word manuals for an option to run in text mode (it has been a while
since I've used Word for DOS, but I think there is an option for this).

Word uses graphics mode so you can see italics, bold, underlined
properly, when you run Word in text mode all of these things turn
into colored text.

Curt Johnson == curt@cctb.wa.com

klliou@milton.u.washington.edu (Kan-Lee Liou) (04/01/91)

curt@cctb.wa.com (Curt Johnson) writes:

>I think your problem is that Word is running in a graphics mode that
>Windows can't put in a window.  The solution would be to look in your
>Word manuals for an option to run in text mode (it has been a while
>since I've used Word for DOS, but I think there is an option for this).

>Word uses graphics mode so you can see italics, bold, underlined
>properly, when you run Word in text mode all of these things turn
>into colored text.

My Word is in Text mode, but I still got the same error message
".. cannot run this high-resultion application while other high-resolution
applicationare running full screen ..."

Kan

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (04/02/91)

klliou@milton.u.washington.edu (Kan-Lee Liou) writes:

>curt@cctb.wa.com (Curt Johnson) writes:

>>I think your problem is that Word is running in a graphics mode that
>>Windows can't put in a window.  The solution would be to look in your
>>Word manuals for an option to run in text mode (it has been a while
>>since I've used Word for DOS, but I think there is an option for this).

>>Word uses graphics mode so you can see italics, bold, underlined
>>properly, when you run Word in text mode all of these things turn
>>into colored text.

>My Word is in Text mode, but I still got the same error message
>".. cannot run this high-resultion application while other high-resolution
>applicationare running full screen ..."

Are you really sure of that?  The symptoms seem to indicate that Win3
thinks W5 is a graphics application.  Does your mouse pointer look like
an arrow or a block?  It looks like a block in text mode.

Alt-F9 toggles between the two modes.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.             EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer          VOICE: (303)231-1014

klliou@milton.u.washington.edu (Kan-Lee Liou) (04/02/91)

>Are you really sure of that?  The symptoms seem to indicate that Win3
>thinks W5 is a graphics application.  Does your mouse pointer look like
>an arrow or a block?  It looks like a block in text mode.

>Alt-F9 toggles between the two modes.
>--

My Word is in Text mode and the mouse pointer is a solid block.
I can start it with full screen and then use 'alt-enter' to make it windowed
without changing anything.

Kan

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar30.075421.25921@milton.u.washington.edu> klliou@milton.u.washington.edu (Kan-Lee Liou) writes:
>I cannot start Word 5.0 in a window (enhanced mode, of course), but I
>can start Word with full screen and then change it to a window..
>Should I modify something in the PIF?  (The error message is "..You cannot
>start this application when other high-resolution application.....", but
>closing other application did not help)

I think that you only can run a windowed dos-application in a resolution
that is less then your windows resolution.
Example:  If you run windows in VGA mode then your dos-appl's in
          a window can use EGA as it highest resolution.

Try to installed Word 5.0 for EGA instead.

/Lars Nilsson
--
Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Stockholm - Sweden

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (04/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1991 05:50:40 GMT

In article <marshall.670551883@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
->Are you really sure of that?  The symptoms seem to indicate that Win3
->thinks W5 is a graphics application.  Does your mouse pointer look like
->an arrow or a block?  It looks like a block in text mode.

No, it doesn't. Microsoft mouse (at least the busmouse) ALWAYS looks like
an arrow.

Tony

klliou@milton.u.washington.edu (Kan-Lee Liou) (04/07/91)

Thank you for all the replys, especially the one who recommended me to
restall Word in EGA mode.  I did and now I can 'window' it.

Kan