[comp.windows.ms] Mouse in a windowed DOS program

opergb@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) (04/01/91)

I  have a DOS program which uses the text version of mouse and I wish to run
in it in a window (I run multiple copies and compare data).  The only problem
is that the mouse will not work in it.

Is there any way to get this to work or am I dead in the water?

Gary Bushey
opergb@uvm.edu

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) (04/02/91)

>I  have a DOS program which uses the text version of mouse and I wish to run
>in it in a window (I run multiple copies and compare data).  The only problem
> is that the mouse will not work in it.

Windows provides its own mouse driver for use with programs that were
written for the Windows environment.  If you intend to use DOS programs
full-screen, you must also load a "conventional" (non-Windows) mouse
driver before loading Windows.  I'm using a Microsoft mouse and load its
driver in CONFIG.SYS.

Frank Calloway

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (04/03/91)

opergb@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) writes:

>I  have a DOS program which uses the text version of mouse and I wish to run
>in it in a window (I run multiple copies and compare data).  The only problem
>is that the mouse will not work in it.
>
>Is there any way to get this to work or am I dead in the water?

Rather than running the program directly (or from a PIF), run a batch
script that first loads the mouse driver and then invokes the proram.
Remember that you probably haven't loaded the mouse driver before loading
Windows since Windows does it itself.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (04/03/91)

In <1991Apr3.012535.17977@mrspoc.Transact.COM> itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:

>opergb@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) writes:

>>I  have a DOS program which uses the text version of mouse and I wish to run
>>in it in a window (I run multiple copies and compare data).  The only problem
>>is that the mouse will not work in it.
>>
>>Is there any way to get this to work or am I dead in the water?

>Rather than running the program directly (or from a PIF), run a batch
>script that first loads the mouse driver and then invokes the proram.
>Remember that you probably haven't loaded the mouse driver before loading
>Windows since Windows does it itself.
>--

This is not correct.  You cannot give mouse control to a DOS program running
in a Window.  The mouse is used for marking text for copying/pasting when a
DOS program is running in a Window.  There is no way around this.

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

dcrowley@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.012535.17977@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
>opergb@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) writes:
>
>>I  have a DOS program which uses the text version of mouse and I wish to run
>>in it in a window (I run multiple copies and compare data).  The only problem
>>is that the mouse will not work in it.
>>
>>Is there any way to get this to work or am I dead in the water?
>
>Rather than running the program directly (or from a PIF), run a batch
>script that first loads the mouse driver and then invokes the proram.

	Even if he has loaded the driver before running the program - it
    will *NOT* work. If the dos-app is windowed then you will *NOT* be able
    to use a mouse with the app even if it supports it. This is because
    windows does not release control of the mouse when you move the pointer
    into the dos-app window. And anyhow if it did, how would windows know
    how to get hold of the mouse again? (detect when the mouse got to the
    edge of the dos-app? = not easy).
							David...
my $0.02 worth :)
--
-----------------=\|/= = = = = Don't blow up, it's more fun to implode ! = = =
  David Crowley  --@--  Database Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (04/04/91)

In article <1434@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> dcrowley@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.012535.17977@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
>>opergb@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) writes:
>>
>>>I  have a DOS program which uses the text version of mouse and I wish to run
>>>in it in a window (I run multiple copies and compare data).  The only problem
>>>is that the mouse will not work in it.
>>>
>>>Is there any way to get this to work or am I dead in the water?
>>
>>Rather than running the program directly (or from a PIF), run a batch
>>script that first loads the mouse driver and then invokes the proram.
>
>	Even if he has loaded the driver before running the program - it
>    will *NOT* work. If the dos-app is windowed then you will *NOT* be able
>    to use a mouse with the app even if it supports it. This is because
>    windows does not release control of the mouse when you move the pointer
>    into the dos-app window. And anyhow if it did, how would windows know
>    how to get hold of the mouse again? (detect when the mouse got to the
>    edge of the dos-app? = not easy).
>							David...
>my $0.02 worth :)
>--
>-----------------=\|/= = = = = Don't blow up, it's more fun to implode ! = = =
>  David Crowley  --@--  Database Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia
>----------------- /|\             email: dcrowley@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au
> At MacUni-Phone = 61 2 805-8792 Room = EsevenB 238. At home-Phone = 489-5384

There is a way. Buy a second mouse. Windows will usurp only one mouse.
I tried having one mouse on com1 and one on com2. IF I load the mouse
driver  for the non-Windows mouse after starting a DOS window then run a
text-based (or, probably, CGA-based, I have none) mouse program, it works fine.

I have two mouse cursors running around right now, one Windows, one
in a text program in a window.

Doug MCDonald

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (04/05/91)

In article <1434@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> dcrowley@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) writes:
>    If the dos-app is windowed then you will *NOT* be able
>    to use a mouse with the app even if it supports it. This is because
>    windows does not release control of the mouse when you move the pointer
>    into the dos-app window. And anyhow if it did, how would windows know
>    how to get hold of the mouse again? (detect when the mouse got to the
>    edge of the dos-app? = not easy).

     X-Windows does this.  Besides, why is it so hard?  A GUI has to know
where a window's edge is so it can do clipping.  It also has to recognize what
sort of object the pointer is sitting on so it can take appropriate
action on clicks.  I honestly don't see why detecting what kind of
window the pointer is sitting on and taking appropriate action is so
difficult.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (04/05/91)

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) writes:

>>I  have a DOS program which uses the text version of mouse and I wish to run
>>in it in a window (I run multiple copies and compare data).
        ^^^^^^^^^^^

>Windows provides its own mouse driver for use with programs that were
>written for the Windows environment.  If you intend to use DOS programs
>full-screen, you must also load a "conventional" (non-Windows) mouse
>driver before loading Windows.  I'm using a Microsoft mouse and load its
>driver in CONFIG.SYS.

	Uh, Frank ? Did you read that wrong ?  He is running a DOS app IN
A WINDOW.  I'm sure he is getting the "Select <app name>" title and blocking
text.  Solution ?  FIIK.

	Craig
	mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edy
	3MTA3@eecs.ee.pdx.edu

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) (04/09/91)

>  	Uh, Frank ? Did you read that wrong ?  He is running a DOS app IN
>   A WINDOW.  I'm sure he is getting the "Select <app name>" title and blocking
>    text.  Solution ?  FIIK.

>     	Craig

Yes, Craig, I did read it wrong.  What I thought I saw was something like
"running a DOS program under Windows" not "a DOS program in a window."
You're right, my suggestion will not work.  Sorry.

Frank Calloway