[comp.windows.ms] PageMaker, HyperDisk, ATM

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (04/08/91)

My environment is that I'm running Windows 3.0 on a TeleVideo 386 (16MHz)
with Aporia as my shell.  I just got my PageMaker 4.0 upgrade (YAY) after
great anticipation.  I'm having all sorts of interesting problems.

I've been evaluating HyperDisk, which has seemed to run great.  But I found
that I was having MANY UAEs in PM4.0 and decided to eliminate variables.
So first I took OUT HD - the UAEs reduced significantly!  I tried using
progman instead of Aporia, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I seem to get UAEs at a few places: when converting a file from one printer
to another; when printing a file, AFTER the printing to the print manager
is complete, but before the file is printed; when printing files that
contain mixed graphics and text.

Has anyone else had any problems like these?  Can anyone offer any helpful
(or even not-so-helpful) suggestions?

I've also been running Newpaper 1.3, Zipaper, Usher 1.3.  I've turned them
all off and on again to see if that made any difference.  I also tried
using HyperDisk's options that do and don't release memory to Windows to
no avail.  The most stable configuration seems to be NO HyperDisk when
I'm running PageMaker.

Sigh.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.202241.889@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
>I've been evaluating HyperDisk, which has seemed to run great.  But I found
>that I was having MANY UAEs in PM4.0 and decided to eliminate variables.
>So first I took OUT HD - the UAEs reduced significantly!  I tried using
>progman instead of Aporia, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Hmmm.. I have been running the Hyperdisk 4.22K beta release (available
from Hyperware's BBS to registered users) with Pagemaker 4.0 in 386
Enhanced mode with no problems at all for several weeks...

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +