[comp.windows.ms] Program Item Properties

mqvortru@iiic.ethz.ch (Michael Heide Qvortrup) (04/05/91)

I have a question about the properties of a Program Item under Program-Manager:

In the FM it says on page 91, that I can specify a directory where I want the
given application to start in front of the executable for the application (entry
"Commandline"), as long as the applications home directory is on my path.

Now, I want to do this (I hate having data files floating around where they don't
belong), but every time I try, ProgMan responds with an "Invalid Path"-message!

FYI, the application in question is Excel (but it doesn't work with other applications
either), the home directory of the app IS on the path and it does work if I only
specify "ecxel.exe" in the "Commandline", but then the app starts in \windows
(and that directory is clogged enough already, thank you very much:-)).

Replies either to the net or throug e-mail.

Thanks in advance,

--Mike

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (04/09/91)

In article <27863@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> mqvortru@iiic.ethz.ch (Michael Heide Qvortrup) writes:
>RE: Program-Manager:
>
>In the FM it says on page 91, that I can specify a directory where I want
>the given application to start in front of the executable for the application
>(entry>"Commandline"), as long as the applications home directory is on
>my path.
>
>Now, I want to do this (I hate having data files floating around where they
>don't belong), but every time I try, ProgMan responds with an "Invalid Path"
>-message!

Microsoft "Technical" Support calls this "an undocumented feature" (read BUG)
simply hit the OK button in this error box and everything will work fine!

Trust me!  (Just make sure the .exe is in your path, also, this only works
for Windows applications.)

--
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||