[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT/NET: features we'd like to see

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (02/08/91)

One feature I'd like to see on WinQVT/NET is the ability
(like in NCSA Telnet) to open a session on a machine un-
specified in the config.tel analogue (I forget the file-
name) by simply hitting a key combination (or clicking on
a menu item) and typing an IP number or a host name.

Maybe theres a way to do this already, but I have yet to
discover it. Its kind of annoying to have to go into note-
pad to edit the file every time you want to log onto a
new host.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU (Charles Holden Winstead) (02/09/91)

I'd also like to see the ability to open more than one connection at a time.
This wouldn't be too hard using different software interupts or something in
the driver.

-Charles

winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (02/11/91)

In <1991Feb8.211524.29845@fs7.ece.cmu.edu> winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU (Charles Holden Winstead) writes:

>I'd also like to see the ability to open more than one connection at a time.
>This wouldn't be too hard using different software interupts or something in
>the driver.

>-Charles

You CAN open multiple connections with WinQVT/NET.  I've had connections
open to three different machines simulataneously, each in its own window
with all three scrolling text, although not very quickly.

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/12/91)

In article <cchapman.666279681@romeo> cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:
>In <1991Feb8.211524.29845@fs7.ece.cmu.edu> winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU (Charles Holden Winstead) writes:
>
>>I'd also like to see the ability to open more than one connection at a time.
>You CAN open multiple connections with WinQVT/NET.  I've had connections

Correct.  However, something peculiar happens sometimes.  I am using
a PS/2 70 with a UB NICPS2 card, packet driver...

Sometimes, when I try to conncct as a telnet or ftp, I get no response.  The
other running sessions are fine.  Then I start another ftp, connect, but
login: and password: come out twice, i.e. like the current window is ftp'd
to two different sessions?! bizzare.  I can only get to one of them,
the one ftp gives me. I am not sure what the problem is though.

What to add?  Add lpr and rsh to the pull down menu.  Allow the qvt_tcp.rc
to be saved when changes are made via the running program.

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/30/91)

Here are a few features that I think would make the
next release of WinQVT/NET better:

1. Have a slow-paste switch. Some mainframes can't accept
   pasted text at TCP/IP speeds. Most terminal emulation
   packages have a way to adjust the pacing for ascii
   uploads, which is exactly what a paste in WinQVT/NET
   is. I can still do it in NCSA Telnet by diabling Fast
   Paste in the PIF file.

2. Support the alt-T command. In NCSA Telnet this command
   sends a standard FTP initialization string to the main-
   frame (ftp -n pcip). This would be a perfect complement
   to v. 1.5's FTP server capability. (Come to think of it,
   I'll probably end up programming one of my function keys
   to do this.)

3. Have Alt-A bring up the Telnet Services dialog box. I
   suppose I've gotten used to NCSA Telnet.

Anyone else think of more stuff to add?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

kxb@math.ksu.edu (Karl Buck) (03/30/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

[..suggestions for WinQVT/NET...]

>Anyone else think of more stuff to add?

A PC-NFS Version.   :-)

--
 Karl Buck                   email: kxb@hilbert.math.ksu.edu
 KSU Dept. of Mathematics

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/30/91)

It has been brought to my attention that this
thread has been crossposting to sci.chem, so
when following up to this thread watch your
Newsgroups line!

Another feature: Map ctrl-2 to ctrl-shift-2. To
set a mark in emacs, ctrl-2 works in NCSA Telnet
and Procomm, but not WinQVT/NET. The actual com-
mand is ctrl-@.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (03/31/91)

How about selectable fonts in the FTP and NNTP sessions, including
being able to select any font installed in the system?  Geesh, I just
about go blind when those HUGE characters jump up on my screen.

I'd like to see the NNTP reader work more like nn.  After using rn and
vnews extensively, I'm absolutely spoiled on the way nn works.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get WinQVTN to startup and
automatically open a session to a specific host.  Maybe there is no
way, but I'd like one.

How about some cool 3d buttons for Telnet/FTP/News accross the top of
each window.  This would eliminate the need to go searching for the
QinQVTN control session icon, maximizing it, selecting
session/Telnet/hostname.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * RUCS/User Services * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

poirot@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Daniel T. Poirot) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.184627.515@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>Here are a few features that I think would make the
>next release of WinQVT/NET better:
>

>Anyone else think of more stuff to add?

How about a LPR-LPQ client?  A nice browser-type box for file selection
and an option for hostname and printer name would be just fine, thank
you very much.

--

Daniel Poirot           poirot@aio.jsc.nasa.gov
Lockheed C07A           "The mind is a terrible thing."

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/01/91)

>I'm still trying to figure out how to get WinQVTN to startup and
>automatically open a session to a specific host.  Maybe there is no
>way, but I'd like one.

Here you go:

auto_start=aqua,silver

Paste a line like above into your qvt_tcp.rc file.

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (04/02/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
|medici@dorm.rutgers.edu writes:
|>I'm still trying to figure out how to get WinQVTN to startup and
|>automatically open a session to a specific host.  Maybe there is no
|>way, but I'd like one.
|
|Here you go:
|
|auto_start=aqua,silver
|
|Paste a line like above into your qvt_tcp.rc file.

Yes, but one still needs to login.  Login scripts and rlogin capability
would be helpful here.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * RUCS/User Services * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

cnolan@mee.tcd.ie (04/02/91)

> In article <1991Mar29.184627.515@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>
>>Here are a few features that I think would make the
>>next release of WinQVT/NET better:
>>

>>Anyone else think of more stuff to add?

How about a simple ping command from the Services menu selection.  It's dead
handy for setting up/debugging.  Also a finger command would be good too.
While we're at it why not an SMTP mailer.

       	 	Conor Nolan			Phone:	772941 (X1741)
           	Snr. Technician			Fax:	772442
            	Microelectronics Dept.
		Trinity College
	      	Dublin 2			cnolan@mee.tcd.ie
  	     	IRELAND				ampere::cnolan

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/03/91)

>|auto_start=aqua,silver

>|Paste a line like above into your qvt_tcp.rc file.

>Yes, but one still needs to login.  Login scripts and rlogin capability
>would be helpful here.

Well, I haven't actually tried it, but perhaps one could
program a function key to do the login.

reynolds@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Reynolds) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr2.150702.1@mee.tcd.ie> cnolan@mee.tcd.ie writes:

>>>Anyone else think of more stuff to add?

How about an option in the Telnet window to print the screen (or print until
further notice, a la logfiles) to the Windows print manager?  We have several
people hooked up to postscript printers who would like to print screen contents
locally.

Michael Reynolds
University of Washington Libraries
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A
Internet: reynolds@milton.u.washington.edu

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (04/05/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>Here are a few features that I think would make the
>next release of WinQVT/NET better:

>Anyone else think of more stuff to add?

I just got winqvt/net to test out a few days ago and on first
impressions the only thing that I would like is for a much faster
scroll ability.  I have tried this program in 640x480x16 640x480x256
800x600x16 and 800x600x256 modes on my ATI card.  The video is quite
fast at the lower resolutions and the 16 color stuff but winqvt/net is
still incredibly slow a scrolling within its own window.  WHY?

BTW, I'm on a WD8003 thin wire ethernet and a 386/33 with 8Mb.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

frankw@gorm.ruc.dk (Frank Wagner inst. VII) (04/10/91)

We have tried WinQVT/Net and liked it, but there was
the usual problem: national characters, in this case the
danish keyboard-driver. Using the 'AltGr'-key results in
several characters and not only the one we wanted to.

Another point is that we sometimes are using a danish version
of the ASCII-characterset where [\]{|} are replaced by some
danish characters. We'd like to have the possibility to
convert these to the 'real' characters in the ANSI-set.
Of course it's not nice, but the only way to get the
national characters with a 7-bit characterset.

frankw@jane.ruc.dk