[comp.windows.ms] Word --> PS converter

et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) (04/06/91)

Does there exist a public domain or shareware program which will convert
from Word for Windows format to PostScript?

Thanks.
Ed

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (04/07/91)

In article <EbzDQPi00Uh7E512Jy@andrew.cmu.edu> et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:

>Does there exist a public domain or shareware program which will convert
>from Word for Windows format to PostScript?
>
>Thanks.
>Ed

YES!!!! And its called, amazingly enough, "Microsoft Word for Windows".  To
get it to work,  simply install a postscript printer (virtually any will
do) using the Windows printer setup utility from the Control Panel or from the
printer setup line in the File menu and when you must specify what port the
printer is connected to, select FILE:  From now on, when you print you will
be presented with a dialog box that asks you for the file name.  Type in any
valid dos file name and presto, you will have a Postscript file.

Don Lehn

drp@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) (04/07/91)

In article <EbzDQPi00Uh7E512Jy@andrew.cmu.edu> et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:

>Does there exist a public domain or shareware program which will convert
>from Word for Windows format to PostScript?

Do you have Word for Windows?  If not, skip the following:
	Under control panel, select printers.
	add a postscript printer
	instead of selecting a port, choose "FILE"
	when you attempt to print using that printer, you
	  will be prompted for the name of a file to write to.

If you mean that you have a W4W document that you want to convert
to PostScript, your best bet is to get someone with W4W to convert
it for you.

David R. Preston      drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com
You might think that.  I couldn't possibly comment.
D. R. Preston 584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (04/08/91)

In article <EbzDQPi00Uh7E512Jy@andrew.cmu.edu> et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:

>Does there exist a public domain or shareware program which will convert
>from Word for Windows format to PostScript?

Word for Windows has the capability built in. Just change your Windows
setup ... select Control Panel -> Printers. Select "Postscript Printer
on FILE" and install. Then every time you attempt to print a Word document,
a dialog box opens asking you to enter a file name. The output will be pure
Postscript.

My PC does not talk to a laser printer, so I use this method to save my
documents, then copy them to a Sun server and print them on the Postscript
printer from there.

Glenn

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (04/10/91)

>In article <EbzDQPi00Uh7E512Jy@andrew.cmu.edu> et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:
>>
>>Does there exist a public domain or shareware program which will convert
>>from Word for Windows format to PostScript?

What *I* really want is a postscript to word converter, and a LaTex to Word
converter, and, while I'm at it, a Word to LaTex converter.......

--
james lee peterson				petersja@CS.ColoState.edu
dept. of computer science