[comp.windows.ms] alt-tab using usher without progman.

2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/03/91)

In article <cchapman.670598294@romeo>, cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:

> Perhaps I don't understand what you want to do but Alt-Tab still works with
> Usher.  You can hold down the Alt key and each time you hit tab, Windows
> cycles to the next program.  For full screen DOS programs, Windows puts a
> red title bar at the top of the screen with the name of the application that
> will become active when you release the Alt key.  It seems to work the same
> way it did when I was using Progman.

The alt-tab function works fine for me as long as I have progman loaded (it
doesn't have to be the shell, just loaded.)  What I want to do is use Usher for
my shell, not load progman, and still have the alt-tab function.

I suspect that when you use the alt-tab function you either have progman
loaded, or another program is duplicating the effect ( I have a suspician
file manager will do this.)

Stephen Figgins
2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jason Merrill) (04/03/91)

> The alt-tab function works fine for me as long as I have progman loaded (it
> doesn't have to be the shell, just loaded.)  What I want to do is use Usher for
> my shell, not load progman, and still have the alt-tab function.
> I suspect that when you use the alt-tab function you either have progman
> loaded, or another program is duplicating the effect ( I have a suspician
> file manager will do this.)

I don't see how it could possibly be Program Manager that is handling
Alt-Tab, since it works inside DOS boxes as well, which is really outside
progman's domain.  Besides, I've used usher for my shell, without progman
loaded, and have had no problems using alt-tab or any of the other Windows
hotkeys.  I use the METZ Task Manager now...not very sophisticated menuing,
but it gets the job done and I like to avoid my mouse as much as possible.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.133528.29408@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <cchapman.670598294@romeo>, cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:
>
>The alt-tab function works fine for me as long as I have progman loaded (it
>doesn't have to be the shell, just loaded.)  What I want to do is use Usher for
>my shell, not load progman, and still have the alt-tab function.
>
>I suspect that when you use the alt-tab function you either have progman
>loaded, or another program is duplicating the effect ( I have a suspician
>file manager will do this.)

				alt-Tab works fine for me without either
program manager or file manager loaded ( i just tried it ) . is
something in your setup swallowing the keystroke ?

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) (04/03/91)

2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
}The alt-tab function works fine for me as long as I have progman loaded (it
}doesn't have to be the shell, just loaded.)  What I want to do is use Usher for
}my shell, not load progman, and still have the alt-tab function.

}I suspect that when you use the alt-tab function you either have progman
}loaded, or another program is duplicating the effect ( I have a suspician
}file manager will do this.)

Um. I'm running usher as the shell now. The program manager is not loaded, nor
is the filemanage or any other program that might do things with the keyboard.
Alt-Tab works just fine. But it does sounds like an usher problem anyway,
that's true.

}Stephen Figgins
}2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

   _
/Bjorn.

In article <cchapman.670684055@romeo>, cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:

> I do not have file manager or program manager loaded.  I use Usher as my
> shell.  The only other programs I have loaded are Screen Peace, WinClock and

I have made a new discovery... I can alt-tab between windows.. but I do not get
the little bar at the top of a dos screen, I simply alt-tab to the next
program, whether that is in windows or not.  (the beauty of alt-tab from dos is
of course that you do not have to go to the actual windows screen to switch
programs, however this is not working for me without progman or file manager -
i did find out it will do this as well.)

And I have made one more discovery, having at any time loaded and unloaded file
manager or progman, I then get the bar at the top of a dos screen when
alt-tabbing.  Now that is weird.

And I have discovered one pitfall, I must have a windows application open
somewhere on the desktop, or I cannot alt-tab back to it!  I have had to exit
the only application I had open to get back to the desktop, so I could launch
another program with Usher.  I was trapped!

Perhaps there is something specific about my machine that needs progman or
file Manager to fully activate the alt-tab function..   this is really getting
sort of strange.

I will keep you posted on new discoveries as I go.  Thanks for the help.

			Stephen

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (04/03/91)

In <1991Apr2.133528.29408@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>In article <cchapman.670598294@romeo>, cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:

>> Perhaps I don't understand what you want to do but Alt-Tab still works with
>> Usher.  You can hold down the Alt key and each time you hit tab, Windows
>> cycles to the next program.  For full screen DOS programs, Windows puts a
>> red title bar at the top of the screen with the name of the application that
>> will become active when you release the Alt key.  It seems to work the same
>> way it did when I was using Progman.

>The alt-tab function works fine for me as long as I have progman loaded (it
>doesn't have to be the shell, just loaded.)  What I want to do is use Usher for
>my shell, not load progman, and still have the alt-tab function.

>I suspect that when you use the alt-tab function you either have progman
>loaded, or another program is duplicating the effect ( I have a suspician
>file manager will do this.)

I do not have file manager or program manager loaded.  I use Usher as my
shell.  The only other programs I have loaded are Screen Peace, WinClock and
WinPost and I seriously doubt if any of these programs is handling Alt-Tab.
Alt-Tab is not handled by file manager or program manager.
--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

mcclaugh@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Patrick McClaughry) (04/04/91)

I have used Usher in place of Progman.  I am able to alt-tab back and forth
between DOS windows and other applications.  I have found that if I alt-tab
quickly, the bar at the top is not displayed.  If I press alt, then press tab
while holding alt, I get the bar and can in fact press tab again to 'scroll'
through the running applications.  Works quite nicely.

I think you are correct about needing a running application on the desktop to
alt-tab back to the desktop.  I haven't had this problem as Magic is loaded at
startup.  I can always get back to the desktop by alt-tab'ing to Magic.

-Pat
Patrick McClaughry   <mcclaugh@csrd.uiuc.edu>   >>No opinions - No problems<<

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (04/04/91)

In <1991Apr3.092731.29429@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>In article <cchapman.670684055@romeo>, cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:

>> I do not have file manager or program manager loaded.  I use Usher as my
>> shell.  The only other programs I have loaded are Screen Peace, WinClock and

>I have made a new discovery... I can alt-tab between windows.. but I do not get
>the little bar at the top of a dos screen, I simply alt-tab to the next
>program, whether that is in windows or not.  (the beauty of alt-tab from dos is
>of course that you do not have to go to the actual windows screen to switch
>programs, however this is not working for me without progman or file manager -
>i did find out it will do this as well.)

Curious.  I do get the title bar at the top of DOS screens when using Alt-Tab
but I always have at least one Windows application loaded (like Screen Peace).
I never load file manager or program manager.

>And I have made one more discovery, having at any time loaded and unloaded file
>manager or progman, I then get the bar at the top of a dos screen when
>alt-tabbing.  Now that is weird.

>And I have discovered one pitfall, I must have a windows application open
>somewhere on the desktop, or I cannot alt-tab back to it!  I have had to exit
>the only application I had open to get back to the desktop, so I could launch
>another program with Usher.  I was trapped!

I bet you could hit Alt-Escape to iconize your DOS application and that
should take you back to the desktop.

Chuck

--

gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Steffler) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.092731.29429@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>And I have discovered one pitfall, I must have a windows application open
>somewhere on the desktop, or I cannot alt-tab back to it!  I have had to exit
>the only application I had open to get back to the desktop, so I could launch
>another program with Usher.  I was trapped!

Why didn't you hit Ctrl+Esc to get the Windows Task Manager?  That would
have brought you back to the Windows.

--
Windows Sumo Wrestler                "Bo doesn't know software" - George Brett
  --(Windows 3.0, a combination of modern moodring technology and voodoo)--

2fmmempty@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/04/91)

In article <cchapman.670707654@romeo>, cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:

> Curious.  I do get the title bar at the top of DOS screens when using Alt-Tab
> but I always have at least one Windows application loaded (like Screen Peace).
> I never load file manager or program manager.

I have experimented a bit more and have found that I can use alt-tab fine, as
long as I have opened one windows program, not necessarily Progman.  So that
was the reason my experience was different from yours. I wasn't using a screen
saver, or any other win program when I encountered the problem.

> I bet you could hit Alt-Escape to iconize your DOS application and that
> should take you back to the desktop.

Alt-Escape wasn't working, but I bet I could have alt-returned, and windowed my
dos app.  that would have gotten me back to the windows screen without haveing
to close the app.   I so seldom run dos apps in windows that I forgot all about
that until I read this.

Thanks again for the help.

			Stephen

george@hobbes.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (04/04/91)

Howdy Usher users!  As the author of Usher I thought I'd try out this
latest oddity.  My findings have confirmed the following:

** With Usher as shell and *no* other Windows apps running, the title bar
   which normally appears when alt-tab switching doesn't appear.

   I always have at least one other Windows app running (actually two:
   Intermission and Ralph), so I've never seen this problem.

   Darn good question as to why this happens.  I didn't add a secret
   line into Usher such as AltTabTitleDisable ().  :-)

By the by, I'm going to release Usher 1.2 shortly.  Mainly bug
fixes dealing with the "sticky" right button.  Sorry, no
new features.  Thanks to those who have registered your copy
of Usher -- it gives me incentive to keep working....

Please write if you have any bug notifications or would like
to suggest any new (reasonable) features.  To reiterate what
I've stated in the past:  I don't know of any way to allow
the user to select an item from the right button menu using
the right button -- you have to use the left.  If *anyone* has
any suggestions to fix this please write back.

Thanks again!

george (author of Usher and soon a graduate of NCSU!)

| o |  George Browning                 george@catt.ncsu.edu        | o |
| o |  NC State University             Raleigh, NC                 | o |

akm@geriatrix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.005757.17866@ncsu.edu> george@hobbes.ncsu.edu (George Browning) writes:

>Howdy Usher users!  As the author of Usher I thought I'd try out this
>latest oddity.  My findings have confirmed the following:
>
>** With Usher as shell and *no* other Windows apps running, the title bar
>   which normally appears when alt-tab switching doesn't appear.
>
>   I always have at least one other Windows app running (actually two:
>   Intermission and Ralph), so I've never seen this problem.
>
>   Darn good question as to why this happens.  I didn't add a secret
>   line into Usher such as AltTabTitleDisable ().  :-)

I suspect that this is because usher doesn't have a main window/main
window procedure etc. (note that I haven't seen Usher's code, so this
is just a guess. I think that that Alt-Tab but only works when an
application declares a window and window class for itself. (and then
creates such a window). I suspect that Usher doesn't have one of the
things that Windows expects.. (And I am not saying that usher should
have them...)

Usher doesn't appear in, say, the task manager. Which brings up a
related question: what does the task manager look at to figure out
what windows are available? (I suspect  this is related to Usher'
behavior.)

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) (04/06/91)

Just thought I'd include another usher/progman difference, I've noticed.
I'm using usher as the shell (Okay George, I'll register!), and if I start
windows with "win progname", the program does not load or execute. We all
know it does with progman.

Also, a few notes on ver 1.3. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the
"default" menu on the icon? Also, I would like it if I could choose to hide
the icon if I want to (take a look at icon-fixer and raise, by Robert F Nee,
and you'll get the idea). Since I always have other applications running,
like screen-peace for example, the lack of an icon never bothered me. As a
matter of fact, I liked it.

   _
/Bjorn.

george@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (04/08/91)

In article <1525@tau.sm.luth.se> d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) writes:

>Just thought I'd include another usher/progman difference, I've noticed.
>I'm using usher as the shell (Okay George, I'll register!), and if I start
>windows with "win progname", the program does not load or execute. We all
>know it does with progman.

Yeah, I know.  I meant to add that in to 1.3 but I forgot.  I promise
it'll be in the next version.

>Also, a few notes on ver 1.3. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the
>"default" menu on the icon? Also, I would like it if I could choose to hide
>the icon if I want to (take a look at icon-fixer and raise, by Robert F Nee,
>and you'll get the idea). Since I always have other applications running,
>like screen-peace for example, the lack of an icon never bothered me. As a
>matter of fact, I liked it.

I didn't know what to put on the icon menu since none of the default
menu choices were valid (how can you 'restore' Usher, ditto for
max/min).  Adding the icon fixed *a lot* of problems when Usher is
the shell.  If I make it optional, and the user happens to close
all other Windows icons then those bugs will return.

d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) (04/10/91)

george@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (George Browning) writes:

>In article <1525@tau.sm.luth.se> d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) writes:
>>Also, a few notes on ver 1.3. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the
>>"default" menu on the icon? Also, I would like it if I could choose to hide
>>the icon if I want to (take a look at icon-fixer and raise, by Robert F Nee,
>>and you'll get the idea). Since I always have other applications running,

>I didn't know what to put on the icon menu since none of the default
>menu choices were valid (how can you 'restore' Usher, ditto for

Ah, misunderstanding. I guess I could have been more specific. I didn't mean
the windows default menu, which is indeed of zero interest. What I meant was
the usher @default@ menu.

>max/min).  Adding the icon fixed *a lot* of problems when Usher is
>the shell.  If I make it optional, and the user happens to close
>all other Windows icons then those bugs will return.

That is true. You are so right. But I don't think I'm the only one who
always have other applications running. For those of us who always have
other applications running, it is no problem. If you describe the nature of
the problem in the documentation, and leave it to the user to choose whether
to have an icon or not, I think it's fair. Default would of course be an icon.
Just add a "show icon" item on the usher default menu. It should of course be
a checkmarked item. I don't think that would lead to any problems, or am I
wrong?

   _
/Bjorn.