[comp.windows.ms] HELP, how to extract a file in macintosh floppy from a PC ?

khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) (04/10/91)

Hi, does any body know how to extract a file in macintosh floppy disk from a PC ?  we need to extract a file in microsoft-WORD macintosh format on a macintosh
formatted diskette from Word for Window 1.1.

Is there a program to do that ?

kent
khioe@mona.jpl.nasa.gov
elroy!mona.jpl.nasa.gov!khioe

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.170545.1752@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes...

>Hi, does any body know how to extract a file in macintosh floppy disk from a PC ?  we need to extract a file in microsoft-WORD macintosh format on a macintosh
>formatted diskette from Word for Window 1.1.
>
>Is there a program to do that ?

    Perhaps Apple File Exchange.  Any Mac with a Super/FDHD dirve can read and
write MS-DOS formated disks using this program that comes with the Apple
System software.  PCs cannot read Mac disks because the Mac uses a variable
speed drive which has a very different 'signature' than the PCs single speed
drives.

    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |   There are many causes worth dying for,    |
|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |         but none worth killing for.         |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                             - Gandhi        |

gt2852c@prism.gatech.EDU (Edward Hefter) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.170545.1752@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes...

>Hi, does any body know how to extract a file in macintosh floppy disk from a PC ?  we need to extract a file in microsoft-WORD macintosh format on a macintosh
>formatted diskette from Word for Window 1.1.
>
>Is there a program to do that ?

You might also try a Copy II PC card.  It goes inbetween your drive controller
card and your floppy drives, and, in addition to allowing you to copy ANYTHING,
it allows you to format a (low density) Mac disk, read and write to a Mac
disk, and do just about anything else. It works in DOS (no Win stuff I know of),
so it doesn't display graphics, just file names like a dos directory.

I know that IBM's aren't supposed to be able to read/write Mac disks because
of that variable speed thing, but I also know the card works.  I use it often.
            |  Edward Hefter         gt2852c@prism.gatech.edu   |
            |  Currently Surviving the Georgia Tech Experience  |

kblackne@mcs.drexel.edu (Ken Blackney) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.135605.24904@macc.wisc.edu> pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.170545.1752@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes...
>

>>Hi, does any body know how to extract a file in macintosh floppy disk from a PC ?  we need to extract a file in microsoft-WORD macintosh format on a macintosh
>>formatted diskette from Word for Window 1.1.
>>
>>Is there a program to do that ?
>>

>    Perhaps Apple File Exchange.  Any Mac with a Super/FDHD dirve can read and
>write MS-DOS formated disks using this program that comes with the Apple
>System software.  PCs cannot read Mac disks because the Mac uses a variable
>speed drive which has a very different 'signature' than the PCs single speed
>drives.

You may also want to look at Central Point's Copy II Delux Option Board.  It
fits in a PC's 8-bit slot and costs about $120 and many stores.  It can work
with 3 1/2" 400K and 800K Mac disks.  It does not do high-density Mac disks.
It handles HFS disks; I do not remember if it does MFS.  Also, it has problems
with some brands of PC 3 1/2" drives; call Central Points for details.

The boards comes with several pieces of software.  Some are for track editing
and other things needed to duplicate "hard to copy" disks (this duplication
feature is one of the board's selling points).  The other software is for
working with Mac disks.  To work with a Mac disk, you just preface the standard
DOS commands with an "M".  For example, to list the Mac files on a disk, you
type: MDIR.

I use the board extensively (about once a day) to move Word and Excel files
between my mac at work and the PC at home.  It is great.  One thing to keep
in mind is that neither the software nor the board do any translations.  A
mAcWrite file is not very useful on a PC.  You need to make sure that the file
you are moving is going to be readable by some application of the other plat-
form.  (I believe that Apple File Exchange does have some translation facility.)

Also take a look at a product called MacLink Plus from DataViz in Norwalk, CT.
It has over 350 translators.

>    						- Z -

>|  PauL M SchwartZ              |   There are many causes worth dying for,    |
>|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |         but none worth killing for.         |
>|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                             - Gandhi        |

Ken
Kenneth S. Blackney              Voice: (215) 895-1505
Computing Resource Group         Fax: (215) 895-1997
Drexel University                Internet: Ken_Blackney@DUPR.OCS.Drexel.EDU