[comp.windows.ms] HELP, hoe to extract a file from a macintosh disk from a PC

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (04/10/91)

khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:

>Hi, does any body know how to extract a file in macintosh disk from a PC ?
>we need to download a file from a macintosh disk from a PC running Word for Wi
>dow ? Is there any program that can do that ?

Macintosh disk drives are variable speed devices, whereas PC drives are
constant speed; I don't think you can read the Mac disk on a PC.

However, Apple provides a program with recent Macs called "File Exchange"
which can do what you want, but it must run on a Mac. It can read, write,
and format disks for DOS, and convert between various file formats.

You may need to save the Word file in rich text format (RTF) prior to
porting it. We move files around like this all the time, quite successfully.

Regards, Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (04/11/91)

In article <41135@cup.portal.com> ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
>khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:
>
>>Hi, does any body know how to extract a file in macintosh disk from a PC ?
>>we need to download a file from a macintosh disk from a PC running Word for Wi
>>dow ? Is there any program that can do that ?
>
>Macintosh disk drives are variable speed devices, whereas PC drives are
>constant speed; I don't think you can read the Mac disk on a PC.

This is true for the 800K floppies, but not (I believe) the 1.4 meggers.  Those
are documented in some obscure Apple doc to use an MFM encoding.  So, my
question would be: can a PC read the high-density Mac disks w/o special
hardware?  I remember being able to read the first sector of one with
Norton.  This would be a neat thing to have...

Aaron Wallace