[comp.windows.ms] Implementing Large Frame EMS ?

phshl@cc.newcastle.edu.au (S H Lee) (04/08/91)

Hi everyone --

	I read an article regarding "back-filling 256K conventional memory"
and "implementing large frame EMS" with windows. The author didn't explain
how this is done though... Ideas , anyone?
	I have an ASI-386/25 with 4M of memory. My EMS page frame is 64K.

Thanks
S H Lee
Unversity of Newcastle,Australia
Internet::phshl@cc.newcastle.edu.au

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (04/09/91)

You've got a 386 why would you wish to run in Large frame real mode?

Anyway to further your knowledge.....

Ignoring the 386 at this point in time....In order to get large frame EMS you
must disable all but the first 256K of the 640K conventional memory and then
persuade your EMS board to provide the rest. The reason for this is that the
paging of 64K EMS goes on above 640K and below 1M. Your computer will just work
out the best place to put it.

However to page in more than that (which is what large frame allows) it has to
be done below 640K. The only way this can be done is as a bove as it isn't possible to switch out RAM <640K the way it is above 640K without danger of crashes.

On a 386 this doesn't matter because of it's superior memory mapping. In order
for large frame EMS to function correctly you must have as much conventional
memory free as possible (certainly > 256+64=320 K). Then if you say:

win /r - windows should put you straight into Large Frame mode.
The /e switch may also be of interest to you. With this you can force small
frame mode.

Hope that helps,
		Dan C.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.093517.9946@cc.newcastle.edu.au> phshl@cc.newcastle.edu.au (S H Lee) writes:
<Hi everyone --
<
<	I read an article regarding "back-filling 256K conventional memory"
<and "implementing large frame EMS" with windows. The author didn't explain
<how this is done though... Ideas , anyone?
<	I have an ASI-386/25 with 4M of memory. My EMS page frame is 64K.

Disable your EMS hardware, and use EMM386.SYS/QEMM/386^MAX instead.
These software solutions use the built-in mapping capability of the 386
processor chip to give you as big an EMS frame as you can use.
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

jjw@hpcndpc.CND.HP.COM (Jimmy Wright) (04/11/91)

> On a 386 this doesn't matter because of it's superior memory mapping. In order
> for large frame EMS to function correctly you must have as much conventional
> memory free as possible (certainly > 256+64=320 K). Then if you say:
> win /r - windows should put you straight into Large Frame mode.

	The 386 doesn't magically do this mapping for you.  You would have
	to have some 386 Control Program such as QEMM386 or 386MAX be
	installed first.  They emulate LIM 4.0 by making use of the Paging
	capabilities available with the 80386/80486.

	If you run "win /r" without some control program like the ones
	mentioned above then Windows won't have any EMS memory available
	for use.  Hence no Small-Frame nor no Large-Frame just your
	basic Real Mode configuration similiar to the Windows 1.X days.

> The /e switch may also be of interest to you. With this you can force small
> frame mode.
> Hope that helps,
>		Dan C.

	JJ