[comp.windows.ms] Debugging PostScript problems in WIN3.0?

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (04/05/91)

I need help debugging some printing problems I'm having with my PostScript
printer under WIN 3.0.

There's a whizzy Macintosh program that lets you monitor the data beint
sent to and messages received from a locally attached PostScript printer
(e.g. one attached directly to a port on the MAC, not on a net).  The sent
and received data are shown in real time in two windows on the MAC screen.
It's great for debugging problems when your printer doesn't like the
PostScript it's being sent, for some reason.  I sure wish I had a similar
program that runs under WIN3.0 in 386Enh mode.

I've also heard about a Public Domain file of PostScript commands called
ERRHAND.PSC that directs the PostScript printer to print out on paper a
pretty complete analysis of any problem it encounters with a PostScript
document.

If you can help, either with a pointer to such a program, or a pointer to
the ERRHAND.PSC file, please followup to this newsgroup, or reply to the
email address below.

Thanks in advance.
Nelson Bolyard      nelson@sgi.COM      {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.224731.23858@odin.corp.sgi.com> nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:
>There's a whizzy Macintosh program that lets you monitor the data beint
>sent to and messages received from a locally attached PostScript printer
>(e.g. one attached directly to a port on the MAC, not on a net).  The sent
>and received data are shown in real time in two windows on the MAC screen.
>It's great for debugging problems when your printer doesn't like the
>PostScript it's being sent, for some reason.  I sure wish I had a similar
>program that runs under WIN3.0 in 386Enh mode.

Go to the control panel.  Select PRINTERS.  Select a Postscript printer,
and go to the setup menus.  On one of them, hit ALT-E.  This is an
*undocumented* feature that allows you to print an error handler.

I haven't tried this thing out yet, but I'd like to hear about it.

>I've also heard about a Public Domain file of PostScript commands called
>ERRHAND.PSC that directs the PostScript printer to print out on paper a
>pretty complete analysis of any problem it encounters with a PostScript
>document.

I'd like a copy, too.  Perhaps someone could post it?

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
I used to love her                                          a.k.a. Timur Tabi
But I had to kill her                            Internet: timur@seas.gwu.edu
I had to put her six feet under                  Bitnet:         HE891C@GWUVM
And I can still hear her complain  - Guns 'n Roses

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (04/10/91)

In article <2999@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>Go to the control panel.  Select PRINTERS.  Select a Postscript printer,
>and go to the setup menus.  On one of them, hit ALT-E.  This is an
>*undocumented* feature that allows you to print an error handler.
>
>I haven't tried this thing out yet, but I'd like to hear about it.

An excellent tip, one for the FAQ file for sure.

The only thing about the error handler thus downloaded is that it wastes
a sheet of paper saying "Error handler loaded".  Otherwise it doesn't
appear much different from the standard Adobe ERRHAND.PS file.  So it
might make just as much sense to copy that to your printer instead, if
you want to save paper.  Patching the driver to eliminate the string is
another idea, for the stout hearted...

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) (04/11/91)

>I need help debugging some printing problems I'm having with my PostScript
>printer under WIN 3.0.

Perhaps you need the new PostScript drivers for Windows 3.0.

tom