[comp.windows.ms] Help, Two probs under Window's 3.0

u1713971@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (04/11/91)

I have two questions.

The first is for a friend who has a 25 MHz 386 DX, (Windows 3.0)
AMI Bios dated 3 March 89, IDE controller, TSENG VGA Card, 2 Meg of RAM,
Quantum Hard drive 82 Meg, running Dos 3.3 with no TSR's.
His machine reports UNRECOVERABLE APPLICATION ERROR when ever he tries to
print a Word for Windows doc over seven pages.  Other errors include DISK
ERROR, NO ROOM ON FIXED DRIVE, (there is 12 meg free).  Any suggestions.
I almost forgot, this happens in both Standard and Enhanced Modes.

My problem, my machine beeps back at me when I press keys to quickly,
sometimes on the fist key stroke in all applications.  Whenever it beeps
it loses those characters pressed.  Terrible stuff while text editing.  It
seems to happen randomly.  I am not running any TSR's.  Machine configuration
20 Mhz 286, AMI Bios dated 10 June 90, IDE controller, Ahead VGA card, 85 Meg
Western Digital Hard Drive (IDE), running DOS 4.01, 85 Meg in Drive C:.  This
happens under Windows 3.0 only, not in DOS applications.

Thank you in advance.
                                       Terry
                      e-mail address : terryr@uno.cs.mu.OZ.AU

nmurrayr@cc.curtin.edu.au (Ron Murray) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.151004.1815@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, u1713971@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au writes:
> I have two questions.

 (Dunno about the first one. Haven't seen that (yet!).

> My problem, my machine beeps back at me when I press keys to quickly,
> sometimes on the fist key stroke in all applications.  Whenever it beeps
> it loses those characters pressed.  Terrible stuff while text editing.  It
> seems to happen randomly.  I am not running any TSR's.  Machine configuration
> 20 Mhz 286, AMI Bios dated 10 June 90, IDE controller, Ahead VGA card, 85 Meg
> Western Digital Hard Drive (IDE), running DOS 4.01, 85 Meg in Drive C:.  This
> happens under Windows 3.0 only, not in DOS applications.

   I encountered this problem when I first got Windows. The problem seemed
to be that my (rather old but much-loved) keyboard wasn't recognising
some commands (I understand that the computer's BIOS is capable of sending
a "stop transmission" command to the keyboard.) Buying a new keyboard
certainly fixed the problem: perhaps you could borrow one to test it out?

.....Ron

 Internet: Murray_RJ@cc.curtin.edu.au                | "You can lead a horse to
 ACSnet: Murray_RJ@cc.cut.oz.au                      | water, but if you can
 Bitnet: Murray_RJ%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet    | get him to float on his
 UUCP  : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Murray_RJ | back you've really got
Amateur Packet Radio: VK6ZJM@VK6BBS.#WA.AUS.OC       | something"
               TCP/IP: 44.136.204.14, 44.136.204.19  |    -- Murphy's Law I

sysnett@cc.newcastle.edu.au (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.151004.1815@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, u1713971@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au writes:

> The first is for a friend who has a 25 MHz 386 DX, (Windows 3.0)
> AMI Bios dated 3 March 89, IDE controller, TSENG VGA Card, 2 Meg of RAM,
> Quantum Hard drive 82 Meg, running Dos 3.3 with no TSR's.
> His machine reports UNRECOVERABLE APPLICATION ERROR when ever he tries to
> print a Word for Windows doc over seven pages.  Other errors include DISK
> ERROR, NO ROOM ON FIXED DRIVE, (there is 12 meg free).  Any suggestions.

I have a similar configuration (except with 4Mb of memory, Connor 100Mb IDE)
and have seen the same problem until I switched video drivers back to 16 colour
mode.

You didn't say what type of Tseng shipset you have.  I have a Tseng MegaEVA
1024 (with 1 Mb display memory and Tseng 4000 chipset).  This has a larger
than normal video ROM so I also have the following line in my SYSTEM.INI file
(in the [386enh] section) -

	emmexclude=c400-c7ff

The preliminary version of the Tseng 4000 drivers (dated 18th, 21st and 29th
May, 1990 from the TSENG4K.ZIP file on cica) were causing me problems in 256
colour mode using Paintbrush (incorrect loading of BMP files, new clean drawing
surface corrupted with random pixels).

The Orchid ProDesigner II Windows 3 Drivers (dated 1st Sep 1990) from the
ORCHID-PD2.ZIP file on cica - also exhibit the same problems in 256 colour
mode. (This board uses the Tseng 4000 chipset).

--
Tony Nicholson, Network Group,          | E-mail: sysnett@cc.newcastle.EDU.AU
Computing Services, McMullin Building, Uni of Newcastle, NSW, 2308, AUSTRALIA