[comp.windows.ms] 4 serial ports problem

welker@immd2.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Volkmar Welker) (04/12/91)

I am posting this for a friend having no access to internet.
I'll decribe his problem :

Situation : You try to write Windows 3.0 applications which
            use 4 serial ports on a 386.

Problem : Access to ports works not properly. Various types of
          misbehaviour are shown by the system.

So far he has got no idea what is going on. Besides some rumors
that this is a general problem with Windows.

Question : Any similar experience or even poposals to solve the
           problem.

Thank for any help.
     Volkmar on the behalf of Bernhard

! Volkmar Welker        ! E-Mail : welker@informatik.uni-erlangen.de       !
! Universitaet Erlangen !                                                  !
! Informatik 1          !                                                  !
! Martensstr. 3         !                                                  !
! DW-8520 Erlangen      !                                                  !
! Germany               !                                                  !

aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.112845.11257@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> welker@immd2.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Volkmar Welker) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend having no access to internet.
>Situation : You try to write Windows 3.0 applications which
>            use 4 serial ports on a 386.
>
>Problem : Access to ports works not properly. Various types of
>          misbehaviour are shown by the system.
>
>So far he has got no idea what is going on. Besides some rumors
>that this is a general problem with Windows.
>
>Question : Any similar experience or even poposals to solve the
>           problem.

Yes, this is a concurrent problem with Windows 3.0.  I've been dealing with
this problem personally for the past week or so.  It seems that Windows
doesn't allow interrupt sharing for the COM ports.  I needed to use 3 ports
and I ended up using a switch-box on COM2 for an external modem and a serial
print-sharing device.  Just call Microsoft and complain I guess.  Microsoft
did send me a fax saying that I could rewrite the BIOS code using DOS
debug.  This is a bit out of my ballpark.  Does anyone else have any further
suggestions?

- steve

--
"Laugh and the world laughs with you... |  All disclaimers apply...
     snore and you sleep alone."        |  except my own, of course.