[comp.windows.ms] LAN E-mail package for Windows 3.0

8416629@max.u.washington.edu (04/05/91)

We have a Novell LAN with serveral workstations and Windows 3.0 on them.
Everything is working fine. But we lack one thing that is growing
more essencial. We need an E-mail package for the LAN that
will run on Windows 3.0. We are looking at several commercial E-mail
packages but they are going to cost us an arm and a leg from us.
We were wondering if there is a shareware/PD E-mail packages that
we could take a look at. It doesn't need to have all the fancy
features of an expensive package.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

P.S. Could you send your replies to the below address:
     scott@max.u.washington.edu
     Or post it here for the benefit of others. Thanks

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.215709.1@max.u.washington.edu> 8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>We have a Novell LAN with serveral workstations and Windows 3.0 on them.
>Everything is working fine. But we lack one thing that is growing
>more essencial. We need an E-mail package for the LAN that
>will run on Windows 3.0. We are looking at several commercial E-mail
>packages but they are going to cost us an arm and a leg from us.
>We were wondering if there is a shareware/PD E-mail packages that
>we could take a look at. It doesn't need to have all the fancy
>features of an expensive package.

  It doesn't have a Windows interface, but it runs on Novell LANs,
  has a gateway to SMTP (Unix mail), has been tested with WIN3, and
  is free.  Yes, it's Pegasus Mail.

  FTP sites for it are:
    splicer.cba.hawaii.edu
    rodan.acs.syr.edu
    mibsrv.mib.eng.ua.edu

  The SMTP gateway can be found at:
    omnigate.clarkson.edu

  A very nice product.  I'd look at it before I'd even think of
  buying a commercial program.

Don McGregor             | Tastes great.
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|

neil@ms.uky.edu (Neil Greene) (04/05/91)

8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>We have a Novell LAN with serveral workstations and Windows 3.0 on them.
>Everything is working fine. But we lack one thing that is growing
>more essencial. We need an E-mail package for the LAN that
>will run on Windows 3.0. We are looking at several commercial E-mail
>packages but they are going to cost us an arm and a leg from us.
>We were wondering if there is a shareware/PD E-mail packages that
>we could take a look at. It doesn't need to have all the fancy
>features of an expensive package.

I am looking for the same application that would run on both Novell and
Lantastic (Artisoft) networks.  Any ideas would be great.
--
Neil Greene ---	University of Kentucky Mathmatics and Sciences
		University of Kentucky Computing Center

neil@graphlab.cc.uky.edu [NeXT Attachments]

hermit@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (William R. Ward) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr4.215709.1@max.u.washington.edu> 8416629@max.u.washington.edu writes:
|We have a Novell LAN with serveral workstations and Windows 3.0 on them.
|Everything is working fine. But we lack one thing that is growing
|more essencial. We need an E-mail package for the LAN that
|will run on Windows 3.0. We are looking at several commercial E-mail
|packages but they are going to cost us an arm and a leg from us.
|We were wondering if there is a shareware/PD E-mail packages that
|we could take a look at. It doesn't need to have all the fancy
|features of an expensive package.
|
|Any help/info would be greatly appreciated...

Here's an idea, but it might take a little work.  Use MUSH-PC (available
from simtel/wuarchive).  You'll have to write or obtain a program that
takes as input an RFC822 compatible message (Internet mail) and delivers
mail to the right recipient.  This would be the way to go if you want to
connect to outside hosts using UUCP (by running UUPC 1.09c).

I don't know much about Novell.  It seems that you should be able to
work it so that mail for each user is delivered (possibly via a
pseudo-user with root (or whatever it's called in Novell) powers) to
their own work area.  Or if security is not important you can just use a
publicly readable area.

Both MUSH and UUPC work under Windows as non-Windows applications
(I send and receive mail at home under just that setup, so I could give
a few pointers on setting up UUPC with MUSH, but not on the Novell
part).  Since both these programs are free, I think it's worth looking
into, but only if you know someone who would write the appropriate
utility to deliver local mail.  If I knew more about Novell and had
access to a Novell network I'd offer my services for this project (for a
suitable fee, of course) but I don't so I won't.

William R Ward                      University of California, Santa Cruz
hermit@thinkum.santa-cruz.ca.us        [...]!ucbvax!ucscc!thinkum!hermit
   The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.
						       --Andy Tannenbaum

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/09/91)

>more essencial. We need an E-mail package for the LAN that
>will run on Windows 3.0. We are looking at several commercial E-mail
>packages but they are going to cost us an arm and a leg from us.
>We were wondering if there is a shareware/PD E-mail packages that
>we could take a look at. It doesn't need to have all the fancy

I remember downloading something called Winmai or winmail
from Cica a couple months back. It should be in the /pub/pc/
win3/util subdireectory.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

8416629@max.u.washington.edu (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.221843.5385@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>more essencial. We need an E-mail package for the LAN that
>>will run on Windows 3.0. We are looking at several commercial E-mail
>>packages but they are going to cost us an arm and a leg from us.
>>We were wondering if there is a shareware/PD E-mail packages that
>>we could take a look at. It doesn't need to have all the fancy
>
> I remember downloading something called Winmai or winmail
> from Cica a couple months back. It should be in the /pub/pc/
> win3/util subdireectory.

We did try WindMail. But we found the program to be very unstable.
It would cause an unrecoverable error too often. And also it contained
few bugs (i.e. you couldn't page up or down a message).
The editor to write you message was very restrictive to. Everything must
be typed continuously.
May be there is a newer release that fixes most of the above problems.

Sincerely,
Scott
scott@max.u.washington.edu

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (04/11/91)

> I remember downloading something called Winmai or winmail
> from Cica a couple months back. It should be in the /pub/pc/
> win3/util subdireectory.

I had a look at WinMail, and although sone of its features were quite nice, it
needed some improvement. I had hoped to use it as a conferencing system, but I
felt it was too clumsy. A few extra buttons in the dialog boxes, and integrating
the login process with the network's own login would be a great improvement.
  |  Roger Hadgraft                 +----------------------------------+
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/11/91)

>We did try WindMail. But we found the program to be very unstable.
>It would cause an unrecoverable error too often. And also it contained
>few bugs (i.e. you couldn't page up or down a message).
>The editor to write you message was very restrictive to. Everything must
>be typed continuously.
>May be there is a newer release that fixes most of the above problems.

The reason I gave up on it was it didn't have
any connection to SMTP mail. Maybe there was
one, but I didn't find it.

lhotka@incstar.com (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.014734.23151@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>We did try WindMail. But we found the program to be very unstable.
>>It would cause an unrecoverable error too often. And also it contained
>
> The reason I gave up on it was it didn't have
> any connection to SMTP mail. Maybe there was
> one, but I didn't find it.

It also doesn't send mail via UUPC.

It would be nice to find a windows mail program which has a uucp
interface of some sort.  We run our PC LAN as a 'single node' within
our domain using UUPC, but the mailer is unix-like and isn't friendly
compared to what could/should be done under windows...
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| lhotka@incstar.com				PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (04/15/91)

In article <2629.2806f604@incstar.com>, lhotka@incstar.com writes:
> It would be nice to find a windows mail program which has a uucp
> interface of some sort.  We run our PC LAN as a 'single node' within
> our domain using UUPC, but the mailer is unix-like and isn't friendly
> compared to what could/should be done under windows...

We use Pegasus Mail, as do many others, but it's not a Windows program. I wonder
how much effort would be required to knock together a Windows version if we
could get access to the object modules for the mail handler, plus some source
for the user interface?