[comp.windows.ms] Mouse may cause Standard and 386 enhanced modes NOT working.

lchang@udel.edu (Boris Lchang) (04/07/91)

In article <580@tcnz1.tcnz.co.nz> ross@tcnz.co.nz (ross Keatinge) writes:
>In article <91087.100905WALMSLEC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> WALMSLEC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Chris Walmsley) writes:
>>I am having a problems getting Windows 3.0 to work in either
>>Standard mode or 386 enhanced mode.
>>
>>The machine is a PS/2 model 70 with 8 megs of extended, running
>>PC-DOS 4.01.  No matter what combination of memory drivers/managers
>>I use, Windows wont go into either Standard or 386 mode.
>
>We had some similar problems. Are you running SHARE.EXE ?
>
> (stuff deleted)
>--
>Jifong Chen, Systems Engineer (jifong@tcnz.co.nz)
>Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited, PO Box 24, Auckland CPO, New Zealand, Ph (09)-793920

I have the very same problem with my imsi mouse (which is not fully
compatable with MSmouse), I can never go to standard and 386 enhanced
modes.  I have read a article said about the Windows 3.0 doesn't even
bother to check the COM ports after you load it.

After 1 week trial and error in smartdrv, batch file, config.sys, etc.
I finally made it to standard and 386 enhanced modes.  The only problem
I concluded and corrected is 'Windows 3.0 can work in Standard and
Enhanced modes only with MS mouse or FULLY compatable mouse'.  Right
now I use windows without mouse, I have to buy a mouse again.
I think MicroSoft is making this incompatability among others to set
a standard just like the IBM did in '85 to dominate the market.  Then
I realize why so many software dealers sale mice with Windows3 together.

Did any others have the same experience?

- B. Chang

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (04/15/91)

OK.  Here's the story:

Windows has its own integrated mouse driver, which can be configured for
a few select mice.  As long as you have a *serial* mouse, or else a bus
mouse that is 100% hardware compatible with the MS mouse, you can
usually just choose the MS mouse driver and cruise on.

For those with mice that choke on the MS mouse driver, you need to
choose "Other" from the setup menu and install a WIN 3.0-compatible
driver from your mouse manufacturer.

If you install a WIN/386 or other windows-type driver from your
manufacturer, then you will be able to use the mouse with WIN 3.0, but
usually only in Real Mode, or Real and Standard Mode.  This is clearly
explained in the manual.  386 Enhanced Mode will not run if WIN 3.0
detects an "old" software driver.

at boot time should not interfere with WIN 3.0.  It just ignores this
driver except while running DOS apps full screen.  At that point, you
need the old driver to use the mouse.

This same problem will occur with other old Windows drivers, such as
display drivers.  For those who have downloaded the "latest" driver from
the manufacturer, you may find that they have not provided a WIN 3.0
driver for some of their older equipment.

If you run SETUP, change your choice to "No mouse" and can fire up WIN
3.0 in enhanced mode, then you can bet your bankroll that all you need
is a new driver, not a new mouse (unless you paid <$40 for your current
mouse or bought it in 1982 :-).

Good luck!
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */