[comp.windows.ms] Gripe on Microsoft

rcook@grumpy.helios.nd.edu (Robert Kelley Cook) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Mar29.185155.16034@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
|> Just received some new mice directly from MS yesterday.
|> In it there is a new version of Mouse Software Version 8.0.
|>

|> You should probably be able to order the new software by calling
|> MS Customer Support.  Typical upgrade fees are $10 or $15 if I remember
|> correctly.

This has always irritated me about Microsoft.  Why don't they put updates to
things like mouse drivers on an FTP site or to selected bulletin boards.
The mouse software should be free, I obviously already bought their mouse.
They always charge $10 for a minor upgrade, plus the charge of their new
900 number in order to order it.

I like the way Central-Point Software does it.  I bought PC-Tools 5.0 and
sent in the registration card a few days before I heard about PC-Tools 5.5
being released.  Without even asking them, they sent me PC-Tools 5.5 for free.
They also maintain a bulletin board for downloading corrections to their software.

Just Flaming,
Robert Kelley Cook
U. of Notre Dame '91

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr9.035601.2330@news.nd.edu> rcook@helios.nd.edu () writes:
>This has always irritated me about Microsoft.  Why don't they put updates to
>things like mouse drivers on an FTP site or to selected bulletin boards.

Not every upgraded program appears there for the taking, but readers
should know about the "Microsoft Connection" on CompuServe.  Just GO
MICROSOFT to access software libraries, tech notes, and discussion /
technical support Forums (like bulletin boards).

CompuServe charges for access, of course, but so do a lot of the better
bulletin boards these days, and you don't have to busy out all night
waiting for a chance to get in.

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) (04/10/91)

>This has always irritated me about Microsoft.  Why don't they put updates to
>things like mouse drivers on an FTP site or to selected bulletin boards.
>The mouse software should be free, I obviously already bought their mouse.
>They always charge $10 for a minor upgrade, plus the charge of their new
>900 number in order to order it.

Yes. And besides, Microsoft's founders are billionaires. They should send
us the updates for free just to make up for the fact that they invented
MES-DOS. Set us all back a hundred years.

tom

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/16/91)

Come on guys - disks cost money, packaging costs money, time is money and
Microsoft have to pay someone to sit there and send these things out - the
reason not to stick them around anywhere is to hopefully prevent some software
piracy. Don't get on their back - they may have produced DOS - but gosh Win
and DOS shits on MAC!

Brant

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au