[comp.windows.ms] win /3 mode not working

kauffman@chopin.udel.edu (Philip Kauffman) (04/11/91)

Help!
I just upgraded my 386sx-16 from 2megs to 4megs.
Yet, Windows will not operate in /3 mode.

When I run it, the opening screen with the Microsoft logo PLASTERED
across it comes up, then the screen turns back to black and returns me
to the C:>.

In /s mode it works just dandy.  In fact, that is how I had it working
until I upgraded to 4megs.  However that is why I bought the memory.

Anyway, the computer is a 386sx-16 with 4megs, a 1.44 and a 1.2 floppy
drive as well as a 80 meg SCSI drive partitioned into 3 logical drives.
I also have VGA and a mouse (logitech).

Any ideas ??  I am plum out of ideas why it will not work.  I even
re-ran setup to allow it to change himem.sys and smartdrive.sys.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Philip Kauffman
(kauffman@chopin.udel.edu)

rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) (04/11/91)

There are a bunch on issues with SCSI controllers and win /e, if it's an
ST01 controller, try adding an EMMExclude=c00-eff line under the 386Enh section
of the SYSTEM.INI file. Also check out earlier comments about SCSI and
windows in this group and in comp.periphs.scsi. If you are using QEMM or
similar memory managers, try taking them out and just use HIMEM.SYS.

JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (04/11/91)

If there is ANYONE who knows the answer to this PLEASE respond. I asked this sa
me question about 6 mos ago and got no answer. I have still not solved this.  I
 did find out that if I loaded windows with no mouse driver then it worked. The
 only difference between our computers is that I have a mouse systems mouse. An
d YES I downloaded the latest drivers fron mouse systems BBS.
   ________                   Jim Hodgers
  /___()___\                  JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
  \ ______ /                  May your faithful saint bernard
   \ ____ /                   run away with your yellow Alfa Romeo
    \____/                    (Found in a fortune cookie)

kstell@cbnewsl.att.com (kevin.l.stell) (04/12/91)

In article <91101.070440JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
>If there is ANYONE who knows the answer to this PLEASE respond. I asked this sa
>me question about 6 mos ago and got no answer. I have still not solved this.  I
> did find out that if I loaded windows with no mouse driver then it worked. The
> only difference between our computers is that I have a mouse systems mouse. An
>d YES I downloaded the latest drivers fron mouse systems BBS.
>   ________                   Jim Hodgers
>  /___()___\                  JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
>  \ ______ /                  May your faithful saint bernard
>   \ ____ /                   run away with your yellow Alfa Romeo
>    \____/                    (Found in a fortune cookie)

AT LAST...I am not going crazy, My fathers 33mhz /386 does the same thing (using a
microsoft serial mouse)...bugs the hell out of me..is it the same symptoms? (boots to windows screen, then kicks out to DOS)...If I remove mouse drivers win /3 works...
SOmeone out ther please help us..AGHHHHHH

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (04/12/91)

In article <91101.070440JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
>If there is ANYONE who knows the answer to this PLEASE respond. I asked this sa
>me question about 6 mos ago and got no answer. I have still not solved this.  I
> did find out that if I loaded windows with no mouse driver then it worked. The
> only difference between our computers is that I have a mouse systems mouse. An
>d YES I downloaded the latest drivers fron mouse systems BBS.

				you've probably already done this , but

				you should not be using the mouse
systems mouse driver when you run windows . i use a batch file to
disable it whenever windows is loaded . it is unnecessary , uses memory
, and can cause conflicts , since windows uses its own drivers .
personally , i have a Mouse Systems PC Mouse ][ , and i use the
Microsoft Mouse driver ( the PCM ][ is hardware compatible with the MS
mouse ) , but there is also a Mouse systems driver within windows .

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

curt@cctb.wa.com (Curt Johnson) (04/13/91)

In article <504@pcad.UUCP> rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) writes:
| There are a bunch on issues with SCSI controllers and win /e ...

In addition to SCSI, VGA cards with extended BIOS have this
problem, but the solution is the same:

| ... try adding an EMMExclude=c00-eff line under the 386Enh section
| of the SYSTEM.INI file.

I use EmmExclude=c000-e800, this is overkill, someday I'll figure out
what the minimum range should be.

This should probably be in the FAQ list (several people seem to have
this problem).

Curt Johnson == curt@cctb.wa.com

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/16/91)

Firstly if everything works fine in standard mode then your scsi disk
controller may have a conflict with windows through its bios - this is because
windows accesses the hardware directly for diskswapping - therefore you scsi
should also be partioned using DOS FDISK only!

There is also a line that may be added to the SYSTEM.INI file under the
[386Enh] section. This is  emmexclude=C800:FFFF where the hex values are
addresses in memory and experimentation is the only way. If you reinstall
windows ever you must frstly fully delete all of windows from your harddisk.
And start with a very simple config.sys and autoexec.bat examples:

config.sys                              autoexec.bat

files=40                                @echo off
buffers=20                              prompt $p$g
                                        path c:\;c:\dos ....

If nothing works after this then definitely check out your scsi bios and other
hardware.

Brant Campbell,
Microsoft Product Support - Australia.

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au