[comp.windows.ms] New PostScript drivers available for 3.0

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) (04/08/91)

Since I'm usually about 3 weeks behind the rest of the world, then most
netters probably already know about this. There is a new set of
PostScript printer drivers available for Windows 3.0 which is suppose to
fix various problems. In particular, I was having serious problems
generating complex equations in WfW. Some of the subs' and supers' were
simply not where they were suppose to be. An especially nice thing about
these new drivers is that there is now a specific driver for the
LaserJet III using the HP PostScript cartridge.

You can get the drivers for free from Microsoft.

tom

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (04/09/91)

In article <69220017@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com> knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) writes:

>Since I'm usually about 3 weeks behind the rest of the world, then most
>netters probably already know about this. There is a new set of
>PostScript printer drivers available for Windows 3.0 which is suppose to
>fix various problems. In particular, I was having serious problems
>generating complex equations in WfW. Some of the subs' and supers' were
>simply not where they were suppose to be. An especially nice thing about
>these new drivers is that there is now a specific driver for the
>LaserJet III using the HP PostScript cartridge.
>
>You can get the drivers for free from Microsoft.
>
>tom

I wonder if Microsoft would want to save themselves time and money by
posting same to cica (anyone listening....)

--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (04/10/91)

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) writes:

[Re: Postscript drivers from Microsoft]

>In particular, I was having serious problems
>generating complex equations in WfW. Some of the subs' and supers' were
>simply not where they were suppose to be. An especially nice thing about
>these new drivers is that there is now a specific driver for the
>LaserJet III using the HP PostScript cartridge.

>You can get the drivers for free from Microsoft.

Not true :-( I just called them it is $20.00 if ordered from MS. However
they are free for the downloading from Compuserve :-( [I don't have
access and I can do better for my $20.]

Here is the Information: ON CIS: GO MSL
	look for the Supplemental Driver Library area and review the
	readme file to determine which files to download for the printer
	you have. The Postscript drivers are in Files: 4, 5, 6 or 7.

Not having been on CIS ever, the above will need to be put into that
context. I am just repeating what MS told me.

If you already have this, could you please let me know so I may
request the first kind soul who offers to mail it to me? Much thanks to
the kind soul in advance!!

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.223824.11438@amd.com>, indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
> knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) writes:
>
> [Re: Postscript drivers from Microsoft]
>
>>In particular, I was having serious problems
>>generating complex equations in WfW. Some of the subs' and supers' were
>>simply not where they were suppose to be. An especially nice thing about
>>these new drivers is that there is now a specific driver for the
>>LaserJet III using the HP PostScript cartridge.
>
>>You can get the drivers for free from Microsoft.
>
> Not true :-( I just called them it is $20.00 if ordered from MS. However
> they are free for the downloading from Compuserve :-( [I don't have
> access and I can do better for my $20.]
>
> Here is the Information: ON CIS: GO MSL
> 	look for the Supplemental Driver Library area and review the
> 	readme file to determine which files to download for the printer
> 	you have. The Postscript drivers are in Files: 4, 5, 6 or 7.
>
> Not having been on CIS ever, the above will need to be put into that
> context. I am just repeating what MS told me.
>
> If you already have this, could you please let me know so I may
> request the first kind soul who offers to mail it to me? Much thanks to
> the kind soul in advance!!

    There are SDL files on cica.cica.indiana.edu in /pub/pc/win3/sdl
    directory. The following is part of the SDL index file:

WINDOWS 3.0 SUPPLEMENTAL DRIVER LIBRARY
=======================================

The files included in this package contain device drivers for printers,
displays, networks, mouse devices and keyboards. These drivers allow
the devices to run with Windows.

The word "file" refers to "disk." --------------------------------+

Displays Supported in this package              Driver name     File #
ATI Mode 54h (800x600 16 colors) v2.00          WIN3-54B.DRV    File 1
ATI Mode 55h (1024x768 16 colors) v2.00         WIN3-55B.DRV    File 1
CHIPS Super VGA 82C451 (800x600 16 colors)      4513L600.DRV    File 1
CHIPS Super VGA 82C452 (800x600 16 colors)      4523L600.DRV    File 1
CHIPS Super VGA 82C452 (1024x768 16 colors)     WIN3L768.DRV    File 1
CHIPS Super VGA 82C452 (640x480 256 colors)     WIN3P480.DRV    File 1
COMPAQ Integrated Video Graphics System         CPQIVGS.DRV     File 1
DGIS 3.x Medium Resolution w/VGA, Ver 1.01      DGIS3LO.DRV     File 2
DGIS 3.x High Resolution w/VGA, Ver 1.01        DGIS3HI.DRV     File 2
Paradise VGA (800x600 16 colors)                VGA800.DRV      File 2
Paradise VGA (1024x768 16 colors)               VGA1024.DRV     File 2
Paradise VGA (640x480 256 colors)               PVGA480.DRV     File 2
Video Seven VGA (800x600 16 color)              V760016.DRV     File 2
Video Seven VGA (1024x768 16 color)             V776816.DRV     File 1
Video Seven VGA (640x480 256 color)             V7480256.DRV    File 2

Other devices Supported in this package         Driver name     File #
Novell Netware 2.10 or above                    NETWARE.DRV     File 3
Novell Netware 386                              NETWARE.DRV     File 3
Access for Microsoft, or IBM PS/2 mouse         AP-MOU.DRV      File 3
Access for all keyboard types                   AP-KBD.DRV      File 3

Printers Supported in this package              Driver name     File #
Agfa 9000 Series PS                             PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Agfa Compugraphic 400PS                         PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Agfa Compugraphic Genics                        HPPCL.DRV       File 6
AMT Accel 500                                   ACCEL.DRV       File 4
AMT Accel 535                                   ACCEL.DRV       File 4
Apple LaserWriter                               PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Apple LaserWriter II NT/NTX                     PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Apple LaserWriter Plus                          PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Apricot Laser                                   HPPCL.DRV       File 6
AST TurboLaser/PS - R4081                       PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Bitstream Flex                                  FLEX.DRV        File 7
Brother HL-4                                    BROHL.DRV       File 4
Brother HL-8e                                   BROHL.DRV       File 4
Brother M-1809-Epson                            BROTH9.DRV      File 4
Brother M-1824L                                 BROTH24.DRV     File 4
Brother M-1909-Epson                            BROTH9.DRV      File 4
Brother M-1924L                                 BROTH24.DRV     File 4
Canon BJ-10e                                    CANON10e.DRV    File 4
Canon BJ-130e                                   CANON130.DRV    File 4
Canon LBP-4                                     LBPIII.DRV      File 7
Canon LBP-8 III                                 LBPIII.DRV      File 7
Canon LBP-8 III-D                               LBPIII.DRV      File 7
Dataproducts LZR-2665                           PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Digital LN03R ScriptPrinter                     PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Digital LPS PrintServer 40                      PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Epson EPL-6000                                  HPPCL.DRV       File 6
HP LaserJet                                     HPPCL.DRV       File 6
HP LaserJet 2000                                HPPCL.DRV       File 6
HP LaserJet 500+                                HPPCL.DRV       File 6
HP LaserJet IID                                 HPPCL.DRV       File 6
HP LaserJet IID (Postscript cart.)              HPIID522.WPD    File 7
HP LaserJet IIP                                 HPPCL.DRV       File 6
HP LaserJet IIP (Postscript cart.)              HPIIP522.WPD    File 7
HP LaserJet III                                 HPPCL5A.DRV     File 5
HP LaserJet III (Postscript cart.)              HPIII522.WPD    File 7
HP LaserJet IIID                                HPPCL5A.DRV     File 5
HP LaserJet Plus                                HPPCL.DRV       File 6
HP LaserJet Series II                           HPPCL.DRV       File 6
IBM Personal Page Printer II-030                PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
IBM Personal Page Printer II-031                PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
IBM Personal Pageprinter                        PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
IBM Quickwriter 5204                            IBM5204.DRV     File 7
IBM 4019 v52.1 (17 Fonts)                       IBM17521.WPD    File 7
IBM 4019 v52.1 (39 Fonts)                       IBM39521.WPD    File 7
JDL 850                                         JDL850.DRV      File 7
JDL 950                                         JDL850.DRV      File 7
Kodak Diconix 150                               DCNX150.DRV     File 7
Kodak Diconix 150 Plus                          DCNX150P.DRV    File 7
Kyocera F-Series                                HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Linotronic 100/300/500                          PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
NEC Colormate PS                                PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
NEC Silentwriter LC 860                         HPPCL.DRV       File 6
NEC Silentwriter LC 860 Plus                    HPPCL.DRV       File 6
NEC Silentwriter LC 890                         PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
NEC Silentwriter LC 890XL                       PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
NEC Silentwriter2 90 v52.2                      N2090522.WPD    File 7
NEC Silentwriter2 290 v52.0                     N2290520.WPD    File 7
Okidata 380                                     OKI24PLS.DRV    File 5
Okidata 390 Plus                                OKI24PLS.DRV    File 5
Okidata 391 Plus                                OKI24PLS.DRV    File 5
Okidata 393 C Plus                              OKI24PLS.DRV    File 5
Okidata 393 Plus                                OKI24PLS.DRV    File 5
Okidata LaserLine 6                             HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Okidata OL-820                                  OL820.DRV       File 7
Okidata OL840/PS v51.8                          OL840518.WPD    File 7
Olivetti DM-309                                 DM309.DRV       File 7
Olivetti ETV 5000                               HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Olivetti PG 108                                 HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Olivetti PG 208 M2                              HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Olivetti PG 303                                 PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Olivetti PG 308 HS                              HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Olivetti PG 308 HS                              PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
QMS ColorScript 100                             PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
QMS-PS 800                                      PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
QMS-PS 800 Plus                                 PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
QMS-PS 810                                      PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
QMS PS 820 Turbo                                Q820_517.WPD    File 7
QMS PS 2200 v51.0                               Q2200510.WPD    File 7
QuadLaser I                                     HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Seiko CH-5504                                   CH5500.DRV      File 7
Seiko CH-5514                                   CH5500.DRV      File 7
Star NX-1000 II                                 STARM9.DRV      File 4
Star XB-2410                                    STARM24.DRV     File 4
Star XB-2415                                    STARM24.DRV     File 4
Tandy LP-1000                                   HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Tegra Genesis                                   HPPCL.DRV       File 6
TI MicroLaser PS17 v52.1                        TIM17521.WPD    File 7
TI MicroLaser PS35 v52.1                        TIM35521.WPD    File 7
TI OmniLaser 2108                               PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
TI OmniLaser 2115                               PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Toshiba PageLaser12                             HPPCL.DRV       File 6
Unisys AP9415 v47.0                             U9415470.WPD    File 7
Varityper VT-600                                PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Wang LCS15                                      PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Wang LCS15 FontPlus                             PSCRIPT.DRV     File 6
Wang LDP8                                       HPPCL.DRV       File 6

Teemu.
--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

edt@microsoft.UUCP (Ed THARP) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr8.210241.19013@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu> landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) writes:
>I wonder if Microsoft would want to save themselves time and money by
>posting same to cica (anyone listening....)

    Speaking for myself, I wonder if anyone thought about the nightmare of
software, for which you are legally responsible (whatever that means?) on an
unsecure system like cica.  Sure, most people play by the rules, but there
are a few that don't.  We've all seen the various forged messages, and the
like.  I know that our product support doesn't like the additional calls
just for printer driver updates, but cica is not the place.  Usenet and the
Internet weren't set up for commericial enterprises.

Ed Tharp

I don't speak for nobody but myself, and not too often at that.
| Edward Tharp          Microsoft Corporation        #include <std/disclaim.h> |
| ..!{uunet,uw-beaver}!microsoft!edt  or microsof!edt@beaver.cs.washington.edu |