[comp.windows.ms] Borland's ObjectVision

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (04/10/91)

I got ObjectVision recently, and I love it -- it is a very impressive
piece of work.

I have a question though.  First some background:

From WinWord, I'd like my users to be able to retrieve data *from* an
OV application into _any_ document using DDE.

The point of this is that that way users won't have to know anything
at all about where data comes from.

Suppose that I had a small database like the "ORDERS" sample database
that came with OV.  I'd now like my users to be able to access
information there from WinWord via OV: A user marks the name "Jane
Woods" in her WinWord document and starts a macro.  The macro would
then (using DDE):

= call a named OV application (ORDERS.OVD),
= tell it to look for data ("Jane Woods") in a field ("Name") and finally
= get some information back, e.g. the "Address" field from Jane Woods'
  record.

The $64,000 question is:   Is this doable?  The OV documentation
implies that it is, but the examples in the documentation focus on
having OV update a cell in an Excel spreadsheet, and says nothing
about doing it the other way around (Having Excel ask OV for data).

Thanks for any help!!!

--
Fredrik Nyman - Politically Chaotic and Proud.  Internet: <ice@wang.com>
Global Adaptation Center, Wang, M/S 019-490,    NeXT: <ice@red-zinger.wang.com>

karl@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Karl Watanabe) (04/13/91)

I'm not answering your questions, I'm complaining about ObjectVision.

I bought the product thinking I could create windows 3.0 applications,
but the only way to run these application is to use ObjectVision.
This is not much different than using Excel except for the database
functions and buttons.

I wanted to create applications that I could pass around but it is
not possible.  The Box doesn't mention anything about needing ObjectVision
for the applications.

sam@hpspdra.HP.COM (Sam Espartero) (04/16/91)

#/ hpspdra:comp.windows.ms / karl@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Karl Watanabe) /  1:33 pm  Apr 12, 1991 /
#
#I bought the product thinking I could create windows 3.0 applications,
#but the only way to run these application is to use ObjectVision.
#This is not much different than using Excel except for the database
#functions and buttons.
#
#I wanted to create applications that I could pass around but it is
#not possible.  The Box doesn't mention anything about needing ObjectVision
#for the applications.

	Huh? The docs says you need the runtime version for others to
run your application if they don't have a copy of ObjectVision. You have
to order this runtime from Borland, a separate product. Pretty much like
dbase III Plus (or IV, I don't know) - if the target does not have a
copy of the product itself, your apps can still run with a runtime
version.
----------
- Sam Espartero, sam@spd.hp.com -

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (04/17/91)

karl@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Karl Watanabe) writes:

>I wanted to create applications that I could pass around but it is
>not possible.  The Box doesn't mention anything about needing ObjectVision
>for the applications.

You only need the runtime, which has a one-time royalty-free cost of
$495 (MSRP).  I don't think that's so terrible.  And it's VERY different
from EXCEL and other software packages.  But not different from ToolBook
or other such environments.

 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :