[comp.windows.ms] Cannot start applications if background execution selected

720323w@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Bill Wilder) (04/16/91)

I have seen a problem now with two 386 machines running Windows 3.0 in
386 enhanced mode. If the PIF file for a DOS application has background
execution selected then it is not possible to launch the application.
If background execution is not selected then it is possible to start
the application and later turn on background processing through the
settings.

In the first instance Windows complains that the PIF settings are
incorrect but the very same PIF file on a different 386 will launch the
application with background processing functioning properly.  Both
machines have adequate memory (4MB or more). This leads me to suspect
that there must be either a difference in the machines or in the
machines SYSTEM.INI files that impedes background execution.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Thanks
--
Bill Wilder
Computer Systems Manager

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.110226.28267@aucs.AcadiaU.ca> 720323w@aucs.acadiau.ca (Bill Wilder) writes:
>I have seen a problem now with two 386 machines running Windows 3.0 in
>386 enhanced mode. If the PIF file for a DOS application has background
>execution selected then it is not possible to launch the application.
>If background execution is not selected then it is possible to start
>the application and later turn on background processing through the
>settings.
>
>In the first instance Windows complains that the PIF settings are
>incorrect but the very same PIF file on a different 386 will launch the
>application with background processing functioning properly.  Both
>machines have adequate memory (4MB or more). This leads me to suspect
>that there must be either a difference in the machines or in the
>machines SYSTEM.INI files that impedes background execution.
>
>Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Suggestion:  	The values stored in the .pif are dependent upon whether the
		.pif was saved when Windows was in Standard mode or 386 Mode.

		Perhaps your .pif was saved in a different mode than you are
		currently running when you have this problem.

		Open the .pif's and save again in the mode you usually use.

This may not be the answer, but 386 users should be aware of this problem.

--
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||