[comp.windows.ms] Help with WinQVT/Net

wer5@ellis.uchicago.edu (Will E. Rose) (11/10/90)

This is my first posting, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes...

I am trying to set up WINQVT/NET on my 386.  I have a 3C501 card and
have obtained the proper drivers from clarkson.  I find the WINQVT
docs to be quite confusing, and would like to know exactly how to
configure the QVT_TCP.RC file. I know my IP#, domain, IRQ line, DMA
address, etc, I just can't figure out how to properly get this into
WINQVT.  It just tells me "network initialization error", etc.

Thanks a lot... I _really_ appreciate any help/suggestions.

-Will Rose  (wer5@midway.uchicago.edu)

--

					Will Rose

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (11/13/90)

wer5@ellis.uchicago.edu (Will E. Rose) writes:

>I am trying to set up WINQVT/NET on my 386.  I have a 3C501 card and
>have obtained the proper drivers from clarkson.  I find the WINQVT
>docs to be quite confusing, and would like to know exactly how to
>configure the QVT_TCP.RC file. I know my IP#, domain, IRQ line, DMA
>address, etc, I just can't figure out how to properly get this into
>WINQVT.  It just tells me "network initialization error", etc.

OK, here goes.

1. Set up the packet driver.
   The exact setup procedure depends on what Ethernet board you have.
   For the 3C501 driver, the syntax is:

   3C501 packet_int_no [IRQ [I/O addr]]

   Defaults for IRQ and I/O address are 3 and 0x300 respectively,
   so if you use these addresses, you only need to specify the
   packet interrupt no, i.e. 0x7E, so in that case the command is

   3C501 0x7E

   Please DO notice that you can't use interrupt no. 0x80!

2. Load the WinQVT/Net Packet Driver Protected Mode Interface
   by running PKTINT.COM

3. Edit your QVT_TCP.RC file. Necessary fields to edit:
   pc_ip = [your IP address, i.e. 192.33.237.2]
   packet_vector = [packet driver interrupt no, *MUST* be what you
      specified when you loaded the packed driver. In this example,
      it's 7E]
   packet_class = [0 for Ethernet, 6 for SLIP]
   Scroll down the file until you get to the User Configuration Section
   name = [Configuration name, i.e. ocelot.wang.COM]
   host = [Name of host to connect to, i.e. ocelot.wang.COM]
   host_ip = [IP address of host, i.e. 192.33.237.1]

4. Run WINQVT.EXE (WIN WINQVT.EXE)

I hope this helps!

--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>

In article <1768@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> alanr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Alan N Rovner) writes:

   Hello, I have recently downloaded WinQVT/Net and am anxious to get
   it running but am lacking the packet driver for my Ethernet card,
   which is a 3COM 3C503.  If anyone could email me a Clarkson driver
   I would certainly be most appreciative.  (This is assuming no
   copyright rules are being violated).

Boy, I sure wish that Mr. QVT would enclose the following file with his
distribution:

		The Clarkson packet driver collection

Availability

The Clarkson collection of packet drivers is available by FTP, by
archive-server, and by modem.  They come in two flavors -- executables
only (drivers.zip), and source+executables (driverss.zip).  All of the
following instructions apply to both drivers.zip and driverss.zip.

Mail:

I distribute the packet drivers on two 360K 5.25" disks, or a 720K
3.5" disk.  I charge a fee for the service of copying and mailing
these disks. You can send me a check for $20, or you can send me a
purchse order and I will bill you for $22.  NY residents add 7% sales
tax, overseas orders add $3 for shipping.  If you send a check,
please be sure it is in US dollars -- the bank charges me $15 to
convert checks drawn in foreign currencies.

	Russell Nelson
	11 Grant St.
	Potsdam, NY 13676

FTP:

sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/drivers.zip
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu:/pub/msdos/tcpip/drivers.zip

E-mail:

Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu and put the following
command as the body of your message:
	help
This will send you a help message.  Reading this help message will tell
you how to fetch the packet drivers.

Modem:

Call the Clarkson Heath User's Group's BBS: (315)268-6667, 8N1,
1200/2400 Baud, 24 hours.  You may need to press break, or simulate
it using several nulls.  Download pub/msdos/tcpip/drivers.zip.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

alanr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Alan N Rovner) (04/15/91)

Hello, I have recently downloaded WinQVT/Net and am anxious to get it running
but am lacking the packet driver for my Ethernet card, which is a 3COM
3C503.  If anyone could email me a Clarkson driver I would certainly be
most appreciative.  (This is assuming no copyright rules are being violated).

Thanks in advance,
Al Rovner
Tektronix Inc.
Beaverton, Ore.

derek@wubios.wustl.edu (Derek Morgan) (04/17/91)

I have just finsihed loading QVTNet. While it behaves under Windows (so far),
I need to know if there is a way we can define keys other than the F keys. Has
anybody tried this yet?

%inc 'No.signature.file';