[comp.windows.ms] Problem in using BMP files as background in enhenced mode

cwang@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Cheng-Shun Wang) (04/13/91)

	Hello!  I have a question about using large (about 780K) BMP
file as WINDOWS 3.0 background.  When I run windows in standard mode,
I have no difficulity in using a 780K BMP file as background, but if I
run windows in 386 enhanced mode, I failed in using such a large BMP
file as the background.  I'm using a 386-25 pc with 64K cache and a
Cyrix 80387-25 math-coprocessor, and 4MB RAM and 104MB IDE harddisk.
The video card I'm using is Orchid PROII with 1MB RAM.  The monitor
I'm using is SONY 1304.

	Any comments about this?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Ted
cwang@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Ted Wang                            |        <cwang@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Department of Computer Science      |        Phone #: 812-339-4701
Indiana University                  |        Address: 928 S. Henderson

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr13.005735.23630@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>,
cwang@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Cheng-Shun Wang) writes:

> 	Hello!  I have a question about using large (about 780K) BMP
> file as WINDOWS 3.0 background.  When I run windows in standard mode,
> I have no difficulity in using a 780K BMP file as background, but if I
> run windows in 386 enhanced mode, I failed in using such a large BMP
> file as the background.  I'm using a 386-25 pc with 64K cache and a
> Cyrix 80387-25 math-coprocessor, and 4MB RAM and 104MB IDE harddisk.
> The video card I'm using is Orchid PROII with 1MB RAM.  The monitor
> I'm using is SONY 1304.

I believe there is some sort of bug in the PRO II driver that prevents loading
1024x768 images as backgrounds in 386 enhanced mode.  The solution?  Get PICLAB
from cica and clip the image to 1023x768 using the command "clip 1023 768".
Windows will load such an image fine and you won't know the difference.
(You'll also need WINGIF to convert your BMP file to a GIF for use with
PICLAB).

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)