[comp.windows.ms] Unimpressed with Lotus 123 r 3.1

bjones@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Jones) (04/13/91)

I would just like to state that I am unimpressed with Lotus 123R3.1...  It is
supposed to run under windows, but it doesn't really.  I find the Bitstream
WYSIWYG slow and at times annoying to use.  I was hoping for something really
great when I bought it, but I was sure let down.  It advertised that it *works*
with Windows 3.0, and indeed it does...  but not really, It runs only as a dos
application.  I feel I wasted the $400... I think I will go get Excel tomorrow.
Engineers cannot do without their *Fast* spreadsheets, and Lotus just doesn't
cut it...

I had to get that out of my system...

Have a nice day.

Brian Jones

) (04/16/91)

In article <16563@chaph.usc.edu>, bjones@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Jones) writes:
> I would just like to state that I am unimpressed with Lotus 123R3.1...  It is
> supposed to run under windows, but it doesn't really.  I find the Bitstream
> WYSIWYG slow and at times annoying to use.  I was hoping for something really
> great when I bought it, but I was sure let down.  It advertised that it *works*
> with Windows 3.0, and indeed it does...  but not really, It runs only as a dos
> application.  I feel I wasted the $400... I think I will go get Excel tomorrow.
> Engineers cannot do without their *Fast* spreadsheets, and Lotus just doesn't
> cut it...
>
> I had to get that out of my system...
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Brian Jones
I use Lotus 2.01 and am thinking to buy v3.1/G.  My friend has the latest
version of Excel.  I've used both and prefer Lotus.  Even though I can't run it
under Windows, I consider it to be more powerful.  My friend is also planning
to buy the new version of Lotus because of the same opinion.  Do you need to
run applications under Windows?  Won't it run faster under DOS?
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) (04/17/91)

Hi, Brian -

I have 1-2-3 Version 3.1 and I agree that it's somewhat disappointing.
But there was never any doubt that it was an interim product to give
Lotus time to develop "1-2-3 for Windows."  The Windows version of
1-2-3 is due out in the next month or so and you may want to take a
look at it (or at least review its features) before buying Excel.

I also have Excel 3.0 and, in general, it's a very nice product.
Microsoft has done many good things to improve Excel's ease of use.
But there are still a few rough edges that are a pain, and I find
Excel's worksheet consolidation features to be *much* clumsier
than 1-2-3's 3D spreadsheets.

Frank Calloway