[comp.windows.ms] File Manager won't copy to virtual drive???

tom@ismdqa.intel.com (Tom Soukup ~) (04/12/91)

I have a problem in getting the File Manager utility to copy files to a
networked drive.  I am using PC-Interface from Locus Computing to provide a
virtual drive to the PC, mounted from an Ultrix Vax.  When I try to copy a
file to the virtual drive, File Manager complains that the destination is
not a directory and will not complete the copy.

I am running Windows in 386 enhanced mode with PC-Interface release 3.1.0.

Has anyone seen this type of problem with PCI (or any other nfs type of
package for that matter)?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

PS:  Other Windows applications (Notepad, Paintbrush, ...) have no problems
writing to the network drive.  I also have a portion of the network drive
accessable via another drive designator (using the DOS subst command) and
this works fine in the file manager.

DISCLAMER:  Intel doesn't agree with much of anything that I say.
UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!ismdqa!tom
ARPA:	tom%ismdqa.intel.com@relay.cs.net       CSNET:	tom@ismdqa.intel.com

cave@randvax.UUCP (Jonathan Cave) (04/18/91)

Seems File Mgr thinks everything on a virtual drive is a file.  There
are also problems with deletions, etc.  The symptoms differ depending
on whether you are dragging files to Directory Tree or File Listing,
or using the File Copy Menubar command: sometimes it's "not a directory",
sometimes "access denied", always a pain in the neck.

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (04/19/91)

In <2946@randvax.UUCP> cave@randvax.UUCP (Jonathan Cave) writes:

>Seems File Mgr thinks everything on a virtual drive is a file.  There
>are also problems with deletions, etc.  The symptoms differ depending
>on whether you are dragging files to Directory Tree or File Listing,
>or using the File Copy Menubar command: sometimes it's "not a directory",
>sometimes "access denied", always a pain in the neck.

Are you using PC-NFS?  That's been fixed in version 3.5.  You can copy
files to and from directories on remote NFS drives using File Manager now.

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *