[comp.windows.ms] MKS Kern Shell with Win 3

rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) (04/17/91)

Does anyone have any experience with running Win 3 starting from the MKS
Korn shell? I start Korn shell from config.sys and then start windows in
enchanted mode. There seem to be several problems here and there, the
most annoying is that attempting to use a PC-NFS (Ver 3.5) printer from
WfW, it freezes the whole computer. There seems to be some problems with
the resource compiler finding its files using the PATH. If I run telnet
from windows it occasionally crashes Windows if I hot key in and out of
telnet.

None of this happens if I start from normal command.com

bdh@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Brian D. Howard) (04/18/91)

rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with running Win 3 starting from the MKS
>Korn shell? I start Korn shell from config.sys and then start windows in
>enchanted mode. There seem to be several problems here and there, the
>most annoying is that attempting to use a PC-NFS (Ver 3.5) printer from
>WfW, it freezes the whole computer. There seems to be some problems with
>the resource compiler finding its files using the PATH. If I run telnet
>from windows it occasionally crashes Windows if I hot key in and out of
>telnet.

>None of this happens if I start from normal command.com

Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!!!

Ok, well don't do that.

Ok, now for those of you that didn't see the humor in the situation:

According to SUN the current telnet cannot be swapped to the background.
you have to be running telnet under windows, or exit telnet to do
anything windowish.  They apparently are selling somone else's working
telnet as 'enhanced telnet' while they fix their own.

I use telnet with all their recommended pif settings and swap it into
the background and just put up with it crashing windows about once or
twice a day.

As for the printer, you should check to make sure that you are using
the LPT1.OS2 device (or LPTwhatever you use) and if you want to use
a postscript printer, tell PCNFS that it is a postscript printer as
well as telling windows (otherwise your printer will print the
postscript commands instead of what you think it should do).
--
"Hire the young while they still know everything."

rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.210536.9892@midway.uchicago.edu>, bdh@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Brian D. Howard) writes:

> As for the printer, you should check to make sure that you are using
> the LPT1.OS2 device (or LPTwhatever you use) and if you want to use

I tried that, there seems to be no difference between lpt1 and lpt1.os2.
Both work in the COMMAND.COM case, neither work in the MKS Korn shell case.
PCNFS wasn't happy with LPT1.OS2 in the net use command for the printer, so
I continued with net use lpt1 ...  which works under command.com.

I looked up the telnet warning, thanks, I just hadn't noticed it before I
guess.

Is anyone out there actually using Korn shell, Win 3 (enchanted), and
PC-NFS 3.5?

Thanks,
Ralph