[comp.windows.ms] What's all this about SHARE ?

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (04/05/91)

Sorry to be so clueless here, but what's behind all this discussion of SHARE?

I've seen lots of postings about share, and even a NOSHARE progam that's so
small that its author includes it in his "signature".  I thought SHARE was
only needed if you were running Windows 3.0 in 386Enh mode, with DOS 4.0,
and then only if you were running programs that use FCBs.  But lately, I've
seen people mentioning that they're using SHARE with DOS 3.3 (which is what
I use) and without any networks (again, like me), and so I'm beginning to
wonder.

Do I need SHARE?  What sorts of problems should I be experiencing that would
indicate that I need SHARE??

Perhaps the answer to this question belongs in the FAQ list.

If you wish to email your reply, please use one the addresses below.
Thanks in advance.
Nelson Bolyard      nelson@sgi.COM      {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (04/05/91)

In <1991Apr4.211335.21474@odin.corp.sgi.com> nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:

>Sorry to be so clueless here, but what's behind all this discussion of SHARE?

>I've seen lots of postings about share, and even a NOSHARE progam that's so
>small that its author includes it in his "signature".  I thought SHARE was
>only needed if you were running Windows 3.0 in 386Enh mode, with DOS 4.0,
>and then only if you were running programs that use FCBs.  But lately, I've
>seen people mentioning that they're using SHARE with DOS 3.3 (which is what
>I use) and without any networks (again, like me), and so I'm beginning to
>wonder.

You also need SHARE if you have a hard disk partition that's greater than
33 MB using DOS 4.0 and the standard fdisk that comes with it.

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ( Ice ) (04/16/91)

In article <cchapman.670858093@romeo> cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:

>You also need SHARE if you have a hard disk partition that's greater than
>33 MB using DOS 4.0 and the standard fdisk that comes with it.

What can/will happen if you load win3 without share? Anything nasty?

Ice.

--
(1ST HYPERMEDIA .SIG) ; #include <black_rain.h> ; #include <robotron.h>
"Ice" is a UW AI living at: ssingh@watserv1.[u]waterloo.{edu|cdn}/[ca]

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.030624.25235@watserv1.waterloo.edu>,
ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ( Ice ) writes:
> In article <cchapman.670858093@romeo> cchapman@msd.gatech.edu
> (Chuck H. Chapman) writes:
>>
>>You also need SHARE if you have a hard disk partition that's greater than
>>33 MB using DOS 4.0 and the standard fdisk that comes with it.
>>
> What can/will happen if you load win3 without share? Anything nasty?

The purpose of SHARE is to provide ancient FCB support on large-volume hard
drives.  Since few if any programs use FCBs these days, you can probably get
along without it (unless you are running an old program, designed to run under
DOS 1.1, in a DOS window).

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (04/21/91)

<The purpose of SHARE is to provide ancient FCB support on large-volume hard
<drives.  Since few if any programs use FCBs these days, you can probably get
<along without it (unless you are running an old program, designed to run under
<DOS 1.1, in a DOS window).

Such as the COMP (FILECOMP?) compare command that comes with MSDOS.

Rather than running SHARE, one can always save memory & keep some protections
in place by using my .sig instead.
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE