[comp.windows.ms] Scsi & Windows

lucjacobs@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Lester Jacobs) (04/07/91)

I will soon be upgrading my computer to a 486 with a 300mb SCSI drive.  I
know that there are problems with windows and scsi drives.  Could I have
input from anyone who has had experience with the windows/SCSI combination?

I need advice concerning
a) best scsi adapter to buy
b) best scsi drive (must be approximately 300mb)
c) info on changes to be made to windows *.ini files in order to get the
   combination to work.

On an unrelated topic: Where can I get Intermission.  I have ScreenPeace but
I heard that Intermission is much better.  So I prefer to get it rather
than spend the money on the registration fee for ScreenPeace.

thanx
Lester

john@zelator.uucp (Andreas Bathe) (04/08/91)

In <1991Apr6.215725.18110@watdragon.waterloo.edu> lucjacobs@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Lester Jacobs) writes:

>I will soon be upgrading my computer to a 486 with a 300mb SCSI drive.  I
>know that there are problems with windows and scsi drives.  Could I have
>input from anyone who has had experience with the windows/SCSI combination?

Yeah, I do! But I've got only a 386SX-18MHz with 8MBytes.

>I need advice concerning
>a) best scsi adapter to buy

    I bought the adaptec SCSI-controller AHA-1542B,
    the transfer-rate is nearly about 1 meg per second,
    I've never got any problems with it.

>b) best scsi drive (must be approximately 300mb)

    and the QUANTUM ProDrive 210S, 210 MB formatted, 15 ms,
    64 kB disk-cache, 3.5", very quiet!
    I've heard that the company is just surrender a drive with
    over 400 MB, but until today I've not seen it.
    The QUANTUMs aren't expensive any more.

>c) info on changes to be made to windows *.ini files in order to get the
>   combination to work.

    NO changes in windows. ini files and NO input in the hard-disk setup!
    'cause it's SCSI, unfortunately only SCSI-1 but it RUNS very good.

[stuff deleted]

That's all

Andreas alias john

|   Andreas J. Bathe                |     EMAIL: john@zelator.uucp     |
|   Friedrich-Wilhelm-Platz 15      |     PHONE: 0049-30-8512407       |
|   W-1000 Berlin 41                |     FAX:   0049-30-3249685       |
|   Germany                         |   (Please address to Andreas!)   |

cs060128@csusac.csus.edu (h philip chen) (04/09/91)

 lucjacobs@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Lester Jacobs) writes:

>[info/question about SCSI deleted]
>
>On an unrelated topic: Where can I get Intermission.  I have ScreenPeace but
>I heard that Intermission is much better.  So I prefer to get it rather
>than spend the money on the registration fee for ScreenPeace.

Intermission is a commercial screensaver package.  You can find it
in a software store near you, or look in the magazine ads.  The list
price is almost $50 (I think) but the street price is about 30% lower
(in a discount store).  Yep, they're super.  You'll get about 3 dozen
different savers and each of them can be easily configured if you wish.
Otherwise, the default settings are already pretty good.  Some of the
savers in the package support 256 colors too.

-Philip

Disclaimer:  I've nothing to do with the Intermission makers.
chenh@athena.ecs.csus.edu  cs060128@csusac.ecs.csus.edu

Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Jeff Tensly) (04/09/91)

 LJ> I need advice concerning
 LJ> a) best scsi adapter to buy

The Always Technology IN-2000 16 bit SCSI Host Adapter is one of the best I know of and use.  Alows up to seven SCSI devices off the one card, internal or external, around 170 bucks for the card.

 LJ> b) best scsi drive (must be approximately 300mb)

The ones I know of are made by seagate in 330mb, 360mb, 660mb, 1.2gig sizes, the 660 and the 1.2 are novel certified drives.  Maxtor makes several in the same size.  Difference is Seagate has a one year waranty and Maxtor has a two year waranty. Prices are about the same starting at a little over a grand for the the 330 up to a around 3 grand for the big 1.2 gig drive.  All are full height 5.25" drives.  You will have to shop around for those kind of prices as those are close to wholesale quotes that vary

from month to month.

 LJ> c) info on changes to be made to windows *.ini files in order to get the
 LJ>   combination to work.

Well none that I am aware of, since switching to the IN-2000 card any SCSI troubles I had went away.  The key here is that it is a 16bit card vrs a 8 bit card.  I am sure others out there may have other experinces with the SCSI world and PCs/Windows 3.0.  Hope that helps you out...

73 De Jeff, CEO/SysOp Jaguar's Networking Labs (303)377-2371

--- XRS! 4.00+DV
 * Origin: Jag's Point Place, QBBS 2.75g HST/DS, Denver (Quick 1:104/477.1)

Jeff Tensly - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Jeff.Tensly@p1.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.1!Jeff.Tensly

dgustafs@eecs.wsu.edu (gustafson david s - CS350) (04/10/91)

>>On an unrelated topic: Where can I get Intermission.  I have ScreenPeace but
>>I heard that Intermission is much better.  So I prefer to get it rather
>>than spend the money on the registration fee for ScreenPeace.
>>

>Intermission is a commercial screensaver package.  You can find it
>in a software store near you, or look in the magazine ads.  The list

I was under the impression that Intermission IS ScreenPeace gone
commercial.  A few months back, the author of ScreenPeace pulled it from
CompuServe and my sysop friend told me it was because it had been bought to
be sold as Intermission.  Truth or misinformation?

Dave
David Gustafson - EECS  Washington State University - dgustafs@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.002917.580@eecs.wsu.edu> dgustafs@eecs.wsu.edu (gustafson david s     - CS350) writes:

>I was under the impression that Intermission IS ScreenPeace gone
>commercial.  A few months back, the author of ScreenPeace pulled it from
>CompuServe and my sysop friend told me it was because it had been bought to
>be sold as Intermission.  Truth or misinformation?

I was a "registered" Screenpeace user. I received a free copy of Intermission
with a note indicating that it was because I was a registered Screenpeace
user and that Screenpeace was now commerical under the name Intermission.

Works nice too.

Maybe I am one of the few who actually did register it, but, the free copy
of Intermission was quite a nice gesture.
Gary Mussar  |Internet:  mussar@bnr.ca                |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |                                        |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/21/91)

Buy an Adaptec SCSI AHA- 1542B - allows up to 8 devices connected, has
multitaking to each of these 8 devices without software support and is very
reliable. Couple it with Maxtor and you have the best combination money can
buy - Maxtor is reliable!

Brant.

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au