[comp.windows.ms] LaserWriter II NT with Windows 3.0

ccfac@nt.sait.edu.au (04/04/91)

We have a Apple LaserWriter II NT here connected to a 386-sx through a serial
cable.  Printing through DOS using copy command works pretty fine (Postscript
file that is...)  Unfortunately, we have been unsuccessful in trying to print
a document (MS-Write or Paintbrush) through Windows.  We are pretty sure that
the COM port is set correctly..

Can anyone enlighten us with some bright ideas?  We are using the postscript
driver that came with Windows.  There are a few newer versions around, but
will they help?

Any help in getting it all going will greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Francis
CCFAC@SAIT.EDU.AU       Francis Chan
University of South Australia

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/16/91)

This printer is very new and also uses the truetype technology that apple is
supposed to be releasing in its next system - in postscript mode this printer
is infact using the truetype technology which will certainly conflict with
Windows and cause problems - you may have to wait for a driver Francis.

Brant Campbell
Microsoft Product Support.

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (04/16/91)

In article <277@jabaru.oz.au> 07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) writes:
>This printer is very new and also uses the truetype technology that apple is
>supposed to be releasing in its next system - in postscript mode this printer
>is infact using the truetype technology which will certainly conflict with
>Windows and cause problems - you may have to wait for a driver Francis.

The LaserWriter II NT is a "very new printer?"  It has been available for
at least a couple of years.  We've been using it with Win 3.0 across
an ethernet using PCNFS since the first of the year.

What have I missed here?

--
james lee peterson				petersja@CS.ColoState.edu
dept. of computer science

rcook@helios.nd.edu (Robert Kelley Cook) (04/17/91)

In article <14275@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) writes:
|> In article <277@jabaru.oz.au> 07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) writes:
|> >This printer is very new and also uses the truetype technology that apple is
|> >supposed to be releasing in its next system - in postscript mode this printer
|> >is infact using the truetype technology which will certainly conflict with
|> >Windows and cause problems - you may have to wait for a driver Francis.
|>
|> The LaserWriter II NT is a "very new printer?"  It has been available for
|> at least a couple of years.  We've been using it with Win 3.0 across
|> an ethernet using PCNFS since the first of the year.
|>
|> What have I missed here?

I believe Mr. Campbell was referring to Apples new Personal LaserWriter series,
not the LaserWriter II NT, which is a PostScript printer and supported fully
by the Windows PSCRIPT.DRV.  The Personal LaserWriters as far as I know can
not be attached to a PC (except maybe through a network) since they don't
have a parallel or serial connenctor on the printers.  The low end has just
an Appletalk connector and the high end ones have a SCSI connector as well.

The two lower end models also do not support PostScript, but do support TrueType
and QuickDraw.  Although TrueType will be supported by Windows 3.1.  QuickDraw
is soley an Apple product.

Robert Kelley Cook
U. of Notre Dame '91

Anyone looking for an excellent unemployed programmer/consultant???

bdh@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Brian D. Howard) (04/17/91)

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) writes:

>In article <277@jabaru.oz.au> 07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) writes:
>>This printer is very new and also uses the truetype technology that apple is
>>supposed to be releasing in its next system - in postscript mode this printer
>>is infact using the truetype technology which will certainly conflict with
>>Windows and cause problems - you may have to wait for a driver Francis.

>The LaserWriter II NT is a "very new printer?"  It has been available for
>at least a couple of years.  We've been using it with Win 3.0 across
>an ethernet using PCNFS since the first of the year.

>What have I missed here?

>--
>james lee peterson				petersja@CS.ColoState.edu
>dept. of computer science
>colorado state university		"Some ignorance is invincible."

Ditto.  The key is to configure the printer to use LPT1.OS2 (or LPT? if
you are using a different port)  You may have to tell whatever your
network printer driver is that its a postscript printer.
>ft. collins, colorado  (voice:303/491-7137; fax:303/491-2293)
--
"Hire the young while they still know everything."

lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (04/17/91)

In article <277@jabaru.oz.au> 07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) writes:
>This printer is very new and also uses the truetype technology that apple is
>supposed to be releasing in its next system - in postscript mode this printer
>is infact using the truetype technology which will certainly conflict with
>Windows and cause problems - you may have to wait for a driver Francis.
>
>Brant Campbell
>Microsoft Product Support.

Not to argue with you Brant, but I have been using the Postcript emulator from
Pacific Page and the II NT driver in Windows 3.0 with no problem.  I have also
used the II NT driver with th Apple.  It was faster than my HPII and
Pacific page, but I guessed that was memory differences.  I'm told the Apple is
"maxed out"
I was wondering when we users of the paint jet were going to get a good
softrip?
--
      *      suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov sun!suntzu!suned1!lev
          .                lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil        +      .

dale@cec2.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (04/19/91)

We are using the Laserwriter II NT with Windows 3.0.  I had a problem when
printing more than 3 pages. The first 2-3 pages would print and then nothing.

Turns out I had configured Windows for a Laserwriter I. Reconfigured for
the NT and now everything works fine. I didn't know PostScript printers
could be so picky.

Dale Frye
Washington University in St. Louis

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/22/91)

I apolagise - I mean the new latest laserwriter. Please excuse my misreading
the model!

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/22/91)

Robert Kelley Cook hit the nail on the head -  right type wrong model- sorry.
Brant.