[comp.windows.ms] Questions: SMARTDRV and EXTENDED

asmac@acad2.alaska.edu (04/22/91)

Hello fellow Windroids!

I have a couple of questions that have been nagging me, and would like help in
solving them! Please reply to me directly, and I will summerise for the net...

1) Is using SMARTDRIVE the way to go? Or would PCCACHE or another cache program
the way to go?

2) I use some applications that seem to "run out of memory" (WINNAV), when
searching the drives, but ABOUT WINDOWS says I have 968K free. I have a 286,
with HIMEM.SYS and use SMARTDRV.SYS 768 512. Any Answers?

Thanks!
					Marc Casillo
					ASMAC@ALASKA.BITNET
					ASMAC@ACAD2.ALASKA.EDU

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.192343.1@acad2.alaska.edu> asmac@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
>Hello fellow Windroids!
>
>I have a couple of questions that have been nagging me, and would like help in
>solving them! Please reply to me directly, and I will summerise for the net...
>
>1) Is using SMARTDRIVE the way to go? Or would PCCACHE or another cache program
>the way to go?

				don't use PC Cache . it can't shrink
itself like SmartDrive can ( i.e. reduce its memory bite when entering
windows ) . if you want a cache with staged writes ( an option on PC
cache that significantly improves performance , *especially* under
windows ) , try HyperDisk , which is available shareware and can shrink
itself . you'll find , however , that if you use all the memory above
640 KB outside of windows but allow over one meg free inside of windows
, you'll have to use the /S switch to WIN in order to coax standard mode
. hyperdisk apparently doesn't tell windows that the memory is available
yet like smartdrive does , so windows will default to real mode because
it thinks you don't have enough memory . you *do* get it back , though .

--
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @