[comp.windows.ms] FMSOUND 1.0

jxm5809@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (04/12/91)

I just download the new FM sound driver (FM10.ZIP) last night, it is really
great, much more better then the old versio, but.....

Why can't I save the setting in the Sound Panel, no matter how I tried, I can
not select the buttons (Save Volume Setting, Save Voices, Save System
Setting), but the button "Save I/O Base" is allways available. I also can not
use the "Modification" function in the Player.

Did I miss anything, or just because the FM10.ZIP is a demo version ?

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr12.165636.9586@isc.rit.edu> jxm5809@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>I just download the new FM sound driver (FM10.ZIP) last night, it is really
>great, much more better then the old versio, but.....
>
>Why can't I save the setting in the Sound Panel, no matter how I tried, I can
>not select the buttons (Save Volume Setting, Save Voices, Save System
>Setting), but the button "Save I/O Base" is allways available.

You need to put FM.INI in your \WINDOWS directory.

>                                                               I also can not
>use the "Modification" function in the Player.

Me neither -- maybe that's coming in a future or pay version.

I should say that although the new FM driver does everything it says it
does, marvelously, it also screws up my clock if I actually play songs
in the background.  It's like the second hand speeds up to double normal
speed.

nmurrayr@cc.curtin.edu.au (Ron Murray) (04/17/91)

In article <50888802@bfmny0.BFM.COM>, tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> In article <1991Apr12.165636.9586@isc.rit.edu> jxm5809@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>>I just download the new FM sound driver (FM10.ZIP) last night, it is really
>>great, much more better then the old versio, but.....
>>
>>Why can't I save the setting in the Sound Panel, no matter how I tried, I can
>>not select the buttons (Save Volume Setting, Save Voices, Save System
>>Setting), but the button "Save I/O Base" is allways available.
>
> You need to put FM.INI in your \WINDOWS directory.

   Well, actually, it doesn't work for me either, regardless of whether FM.INI
is in my \windows directory. I always assumed it was because this was the demo
version, but maybe there's another problem somewheres. Anyone know one way or
the other?
.....Ron

 Internet: Murray_RJ@cc.curtin.edu.au                | "You can lead a horse to
 ACSnet: Murray_RJ@cc.cut.oz.au                      | water, but if you can
 Bitnet: Murray_RJ%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet    | get him to float on his
 UUCP  : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Murray_RJ | back you've really got
Amateur Packet Radio: VK6ZJM@VK6BBS.#WA.AUS.OC       | something"
               TCP/IP: 44.136.204.14, 44.136.204.19  |    -- Murphy's Law I

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (04/17/91)

In article <50888802@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>In article <1991Apr12.165636.9586@isc.rit.edu> jxm5809@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>>Why can't I save the setting in the Sound Panel, no matter how I tried, I can
>
>Me neither -- maybe that's coming in a future or pay version.

From messages I've received from the authors, I think that those are
enabled when you register & send a check.  My registered copy hasn't arrived,
so I can't confirm from personal experience.

>I should say that although the new FM driver does everything it says it
>does, marvelously, it also screws up my clock if I actually play songs
>in the background.  It's like the second hand speeds up to double normal
>speed.

I've had a lot of programs do this, not the least of which is sounder.  I
also notice that one of my computers is more susceptible to the problem than
the other.  I dont' know the real cause, but I suspect it's some interaction
between device drivers and Windows.  For that matter, I think I saw it once
with nothing "non-standard" having happened.
--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr12.165636.9586@isc.rit.edu> jxm5809@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
<
<Why can't I save the setting in the Sound Panel, no matter how I tried, I can
<not select the buttons (Save Volume Setting, Save Voices, Save System
<Setting), but the button "Save I/O Base" is allways available. I also can not
<use the "Modification" function in the Player.
<
<Did I miss anything, or just because the FM10.ZIP is a demo version ?

Hmmm.. this is the first time I have ever seen/used this program,
and it does appear to have a lot of missing pieces.  It is also very
slow starting up in PLAYER.. to me it looks like random pauses of some
kind.  I'll know more after I trace through it with TDW.

If these "features" are "improved" in the registered version,
I'd be happy to register it.  But I have yet to find any mention
of this in the DOCs, so paying money for it does not look too
appealing, given the present state of the software.

Perhaps the authors could clarify the differences for us.. ?

Thanks!
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

umbryer@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jeffrey Michael Bryer) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr12.165636.9586@isc.rit.edu> jxm5809@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:

>I just download the new FM sound driver (FM10.ZIP) last night, it is really
>great, much more better then the old versio, but.....
>
>Why can't I save the setting in the Sound Panel, no matter how I tried, I can
>not select the buttons (Save Volume Setting, Save Voices, Save System
>Setting), but the button "Save I/O Base" is allways available. I also can not
>use the "Modification" function in the Player.
>
>Did I miss anything, or just because the FM10.ZIP is a demo version ?

You are right.  Because this is a demo version it will not let you save any
settings.  (It mentions this in the documentation for instedit).  There is an
easy way to get around it though.  Modify your fm.ini by hand.  The instructionsare in one the doc files although I cannot remember which one off hand.  By     doing this you will be able to change the default volume, voices, and settings.

--

umbryer@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Jeff Bryer

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (04/20/91)

In article <1059@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> press@venice.sedd.trw.com (Barry Press) writes:
[Stuff about the system clock freezing...]

>I've had a lot of programs do this, not the least of which is sounder.  I
>also notice that one of my computers is more susceptible to the problem than
>the other.  I dont' know the real cause, but I suspect it's some interaction
>between device drivers and Windows.  For that matter, I think I saw it once
>with nothing "non-standard" having happened.

Sounder does it on purpose.  A forthcoming bug fix *may* help fix this problem
by bumping the BIOS time after the sound is played...   It's nothing to do with
device driver interaction, at least in Sounder's case.

Aaron Wallace

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr19.195522.14684@leland.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>In article <1059@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> press@venice.sedd.trw.com (Barry Press) writes:
>[Stuff about the system clock freezing...]
>
>>I've had a lot of programs do this, not the least of which is sounder.  I

>Sounder does it on purpose.  A forthcoming bug fix *may* help fix this problem
>Aaron Wallace

Uh, nope.  I meant to observe that a number of programs, including vanilla
Windows, sounder, and others, seem to cause the system clock to advance --
after these programs have exited -- at many times the normal rate.

This does not seem to affect the CMOS clock, just the rate at which DOS
advances time.

I understand that the fm guys have tracked down their problem with this,
and that a version 1.01 will apparently be released.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

JHWANG@auvm.auvm.edu (Jae-Ha Hwang) (04/24/91)

When I run programs which utilize the pc speaker to generate digitized sound
,such as sounder, my CMOS clock seems to be paused for the duration of
the program execution.  For instance, if I play sounder for 3 minutes, then
my CMOS clock is 3 minutes behind.  On the otherhand I had no problem of
system clock with fsound10.

Is there anyone who exprienced anything like that?
or can anyone explain this problem?

by the way, I have a 386DX-25Mhz with an AMI bios if this matters at all.

Jae-Ha Hwang                     BITNET : JHWANG@auvm.auvm.edu