[comp.windows.ms] X and Windows 3.0

jtanlim@ee.ubc.ca (TANLIMCO JOHN JAY GO) (04/24/91)

lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) writes:
>Does anyone know of a software package (that runs under MS Windows)
>that will allow a PC to act as an X terminal?  (i.e. an X server for
>the PC).  Thanks in advance ...
>
>	Lisa Krauth
>	att!lzatt!lak

and

gt5139c@prism.gatech.EDU (Peter L. Thomas) writes:

>I see this question at least twice-monthly, if not more.
>
>Is it not in the FAQ?  Perhaps it should be.  Any volunteers?  (I don't
>know enough on the subject to give a definitive answer, other than "yes"
>there are several such products).
>
>--Pete

This question comes up in comp.windows.x all the time.  In fact, they have
this in their FAQ.  Maybe an entry in the MS FAQ should point readers to
the X Window System users group.  New products come out all the time and
I think two groups covering the same topic is a waste of time, besides
people in the X-users' group are more knowledgable and can provide better
answers.

John Jay Tanlimco               | Pause for a moment...and take a deep breath.
University of British Columbia  | We all need to change the air in our heads
Dept. of Electrical Engineering | once in a while.

Email: jtanlim@fs1.ee.ubc.ca    |

spence@psych.toronto.edu (Ian Spence) (04/24/91)

In article <1626@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> jtanlim@ee.ubc.ca (TANLIMCO JOHN JAY GO) writes:
>lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a software package (that runs under MS Windows)
>>that will allow a PC to act as an X terminal?  (i.e. an X server for
>>the PC).  Thanks in advance ...
>>
>>	Lisa Krauth

I am using HCL-eXceed/W from Hummingbird Communications Ltd.,
2900 John Street, Unit 4, Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 5G3
Tel: (416) 470-1203

It works like a charm.  In fact I am typing this in an X-window
right now, running under Windows 3.0.  You can cut and paste
between both environments and other neat things.

I'm using a 20 Mhz 386 with DOS 3.3 and I connect to a Sun 3/280S,
a DEC 2100, a DEC 5000, and an SGI machine.

By the way, I used to use Sun's PC-NFS but have switched to the
much superior BW-NFS from Beame & Whiteside.

I've been using this combination for a few weeks now and it seems
reasonably stable.

Ian Spence                   spence@psych.utoronto.ca
Department of Psychology     spence@psych.toronto.edu
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario             (416) 978-7623            (Voice)
Canada M5S 1A1               (416) 978-4811            (FAX)