[comp.windows.ms] Encapsulated Postscript and importing it into word processors

glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) (04/25/91)

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) writes:

>>Which is the best laser printer setting to use to get true encapsulated
>>postscript, or is there a driver for encapsulated postscript?  Using a driver
>>for a DEC printserver, I can print, but the file isn't encapsulated so I can't
>>import it to Word Perfect.

>It is not clear to me that a PostScript printer file generated by a
>software application such as Ventura or WfW can be re-imported by a word
>processor; I am experimenting with this myself. Eventhough the files are
>called 'EPS' by the various generating programs, they don't seem to be
>in the form that importing software expects them to be. I am quite
>confused about this. I have a *huge* need to be able to import such
>files, and am very anxious to learn how to do it.

No word processors have a PostScript interpreter built into them.  They
can not import EPS files and process them.  They can deduce the
"size" of the EPS image area and set aside space for that image.
EPS files are used by Word Processors to import Graphics Bitmaps
onto a page, not text.  Think of EPS and PCX as BITMAP formats
with reguards to word processors.

Another problem is that the EPS image will not print on anything
but a PostScript printer.  Or PostScript interpreter.

Glenn Boozer
QMS
glenn@imagen