[comp.windows.ms] Windows communications packages that work?

lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com (Raptor) (04/11/91)

See title.  I'm talking about the problem with lost characters.  Procomm for
DOS certainly doesn't work, and I've seen the same problem with the SDK's
TTY sample application.

Is there a standard technique for fixing this problem (as in, a Windows
configuration)?  (Hope it's not in the FAQ...  It should be if it exists.)
--
            Lynn Wallace           |           I do not represent E&S.
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.|   Internet: lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr11.154433.22879@javelin.sim.es.com> lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com (Raptor) writes:

   See title.  I'm talking about the problem with lost characters.  Procomm for
   DOS certainly doesn't work, and I've seen the same problem with the SDK's
   TTY sample application.

   Is there a standard technique for fixing this problem (as in, a Windows
   configuration)?  (Hope it's not in the FAQ...  It should be if it exists.)
   --
	       Lynn Wallace           |           I do not represent E&S.
   Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.|   Internet: lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com
	 Salt Lake City, UT 84108     |           Compu$erve:  70242,101
		 Revenge is a dish best not served at all.

Well, you don't say what speed, but, I've been very sucessful with the
windows version of kermit.  Look on watsun.cc.columbia.edu, directory
kermit/a and files beginning with win.  I haven't lost any characters,
but I'm talking over a 2400 baud modem only.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (04/25/91)

lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com (Raptor) writes:

>See title.  I'm talking about the problem with lost characters.  Procomm for
>DOS certainly doesn't work, and I've seen the same problem with the SDK's
>TTY sample application.

>Is there a standard technique for fixing this problem (as in, a Windows
>configuration)?  (Hope it's not in the FAQ...  It should be if it exists.)

You must be running on a 286 based machine. For the longest time I sufffered
with this problem. Now that I have upgraded to an AM386-33 I no longer have
the problem.

There is a company in Berkeley, CA that has written a comm.drv replacement for
windows that fixes the problem and uses the FIFO on the 16550 if you have one.
Sorry, I don't remember the name of the company. If you do not receive followup
to this posting with the information, let me know and I will try to dig up
the information.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra